Italeri 1/48 T-6G Texan

FlipFlop

I like my planes like my women - dirty!
Hey guys, today i was walking with my girlfriend and by accident i came across a
hobby store that also sells plastic models (yay!). As you all know how it goes,
when i saw all those models i had to buy something :D (same story like the
Mustang). And i ended up with this:

2012-03-17001235.jpg

It is a nice kit - it has "OK" cockpit and engine details, recessed panel lines and it
has 7 different painting optins. It's simple and honest, and thing i like the most - it's
not expensive (paid about 12e for it).

I started working immediately, painted the cockpit, done some shading, dry-brushed
it, made seat belts from tamiya tape and it's now ready for assembly:

2012-03-17001127.jpg

PS I also bought 2 Italeri acrylic colors - if anyone has any kind of experience with
them please share :D

Looks like a nice kit,cockpit looks quite good. I like the Texan/Harvard :)

Chris.

Few episodes of Family Guy later and this is how it looks:

2012-03-17032255.jpg

Dry-fitting the wings:

2012-03-17032417.jpg

It's 3:30AM here, going off. Good night! ;)

Ok guys, i have an update for you. Today i did some work on this little bird...

Engine assembly:
2012-03-18205052.jpg

Everything painted and ready for some glue:
2012-03-18205224.jpg

Cylinder block painted black and dry-brushed with silver, and the left part in gunmetal (center part) and mix of yellow and gunmetal (copper color - painted it that way to kill monotony...):
2012-03-18214032.jpg

Engine parts glued:
2012-03-18222847.jpg

Next up were wings. Glued together:
2012-03-18221501.jpg

And everything together (engine is not glued, i'll do that after painting):
2012-03-18224510.jpg

I also did some work on fuselage seams and part where windshield comes (the fit isn't perfect so i had 2 nasty holes).

Coming together quickly ...looks good too ,nice work :)

Chris.

Looking good indeed.

I think this kit was originally an Occidental mold ???. the Italeri paints are actually Vallejo.

ShutterAce: I haven't heard of Occidental before, are they still making kits? I like this one, it's not that bad at all. As far as Italeri paints goes i tried only brushing them and yeah, they work very similarly to Vallejo paints IMHO.

Ok guys, i have an update for you. Nothing spectacular - i attached various bits, done some sanding and then i rescribed panel lines and rivets i destroyed... Fit on horizontal stabilizers was very bad but nothing that can't be handled. And in the end i spraypainted the primer:

2012-03-25140215.jpg

2012-03-25140247.jpg

I have really grown fond of this forum. You are such a nice guys, and you give me motivation to continue so THANK YOU ALL!

Cheers!

This is looking good ...bring on the paint :)

Chris.

Ok guys, time for an update. After primer there were few spots that needed sanding but i decided that i don't care and moved on to pre-shading. I hate sanding and it were minor things.

During the process of pre-shading i came across the problem with my airbrush - after few minutes it started spitting/coughing paint (both words are terrible, but don't know any better) so if anyone has an idea please share. I recently started using Vallejo (Model Color) so it's probably wrong paint:water ratio (problem only with black). Later i had to correct some areas with gray.

Anyway this is how it looks like now:

DSCN1012.jpg

DSCN1014.jpg

DSCN1015.jpg

I probably won't be working on this until sunday, i have so much work to do so until then i am just a spectator ;) And i'll probably need your help on deciding which color scheme i will be doing ;D

Cheers!

Time for an update. Today i finally found some time for modelling and started painting. I chose US Navy aircraft that was stationed at NAS Guantanamo (yellow wings and stabilizers and dark ghost gray fuselage). I did all the yellow bits and this is how it looks now:

DSCN1017.jpg

DSCN1018.jpg

DSCN1019.jpg

I'm sorry for my slow progress on this but i have been studying...

Cheers!

She's looking great Flipflop ,the yellow is very nice :)

About your pre shade problem ,looking at the pics tells me your paint was a bit to thick ,as a rule try to mix your paint to the same consistency as milk ,you shouldnt be to far away with that ;) Still looks good tho ,looking forward to the other colour going on .

Chris.

I have to share my frustration - i lost a windshield... I was sitting in my chair and dropped it on the floor and little piece of sh*t disappeared, i searched for it for like an hour or so. So i have a special little tool to finish this build - 2kg hammer...

After 20 years of modelling:
Family Guy - Im a Tumor HURRY BEFORE YOUTUBE DELETES!

Ok, i decided i won't destroy destroy this plane. I will try to find the missing piece with a vacuum cleaner, and if i don't i will make a cover over canopy. I was thinking of something like this:

P36HawkCoverChocks.jpg

canopy_cover_100503.jpg

So if anyone has another idea please share.

Cheers.

Hey Flipflop, man the work looks great so far! Sorry to hear that your wind screen is missing in action. Have you checked to see if a vac-formed canopy is available? They are fairly easy to install and not that expensive.

Jason

Yeah, i thought about vac-formed canopy and i know that squadron has one for Monogram kit but there are some problems. I have never tried buying things online (payed only on EA games site) and yesterday i found out that i can't pay for stuff over paypal (they don't list my *insert epithet here* country), second one is that i still hope that i will find the windshield and the third problem is that i am still mad about whole situation so i lost my motivation to finish this. So, my plan is to do the P-40 first and then come back to this with clear mind. :)

Latest posts

Back