ISD "Avenger" [finished]

Re: ISD "Avenger" [WIP]

Looking very cool Solander...I'm sure this will look H U G E when you're finished.

Thank you a lot, guys! :)

It took me a little bit long then I've expected - didn't manage to complete painting this morning. I've absolutely forgot, that after applying that hundred of masks, I'll have also to detach them later ;D
Anyway, here is the progress of this evening:

And now, after you have (I hope) enjoyed the pics, a question that doesn't leave my head for all the time since I've complete painting.

Should I do some postshading with a slightly darker tone that I've used as the main color, a little bit more sandy? Thats in order to make the bird look not so pristine. Or it is already screen accurate, its Empire and it's ships are clean, and shading is enough on her?

I really don't know. :-\ Its not that I'm afraid of ruining paintjob - I'll use acrylics over a thick coat of "future"
But I just can't decide, if it looks good already, or not.

Help me, fellas!!! :)

A lot of really nice work. I just feel that the pieces are a tad to thick.... what do you think?

I like it in general. ;D

Benjamin Arendt said:
A lot of really nice work. I just feel that the pieces are a tad to thick.... what do you think?

I like it in general. ;D

Thanks, buddy :)

The sides of the superstructure roofs seemed thick to me, but when I've got really disapointed with this their feature I had already glued all the superstructure together, and it was weather to crash everything, or to go ahead with it.
So I decided, that there shouldbe left at least something from the original kit in this build ;D

By the way, Benjamin, after looking through your photobucklet albums I've found the Venator build, very cool one I should admit. There You've been using some kind of white glue, to hold the fiber optics in place. Could You, please, tell, what that glue was, and how do You find it's efficiency for the purpose of working with fibers? As I'm now in seek of ideas for lighting this ISD.

That was just White Glue, I think you call it Gorilla Glue (for wood ect.).. dries clear. But the problem ist, it need way toooo much time to dry.

I switched to 5min Epoxy for the fibers.... works really good. Highly recommended.

Thing's looking really good, Solander.
Although I do agree that some of those panels seem a bit thick.

I would keep any weathering on her to a minimum.
These things rarely saw atmosphere, and are HUGE

I think it looks good. However, in Empire, I recall the S.D.s looking really light, almost white. I don't know if your pix are just underlit?
Looks great, but some of the surface details seem to be a little tall for the scale....maybe.
I don't know, either way it still looks awesome. I am looking forward to seeing her all lit up. :)

It looks absolutely terrific, Sol! She's a beauty!

I think the light source position in the pics, being to the side, is giving the panels the illusion of looking thicker since there are large shadows being cast everywhere.

I agree with Quaralane. I'd say it doesn't require weathering, but if you feel you must, then keep it to an absolute minimum.

Perhaps, if you want, you could put some scoring from asteroid collisions, but only if that's what you want to do.

I agree with the others, I would not do much in the way of weathering. You just don't see them that way in the movies.

As for glue for fibers. I tried white glue and I didn't like it, too long of a drying time. I have tried 5 minute epoxy as well. It works great, but for some things the curing time is a bit too fast for my taste and I end up mixing epoxy over and over again.

I have been using Microscale's Krystal Klear. It is a white glue, a bit thicker than normal white glue, holds better at the start and dries up much faster. As an added bonus, you can use it to make windows in your models.

It isn't perfect, but much better than plain old white glue.

A little addition about glue...

I just found a nice glue, based on Polyurethan. Its kinda foamie.. you know, like the construktion-stuff if you attach doors... just not so heavy. It comes in small ammounts and I really like this. It stays a little flexible so the fibers does not break immediately.

I don`t knwo if you can get it overseas, but there is an alternativ product you might can buy...

Try "UHU-PU-Max"

I highly recommend it.

Man I wouldn't loose sleep over the thickness of those details, it looks fantastic. Iv used white glue (Pva) and it does take too long to dry. The base colour looks a tad dark to me but that may be just due to the lighting in the pics. I echo the rest of the herd by saying no to the weathering. And are you going to use a very fine pencil for some panel lines?
But solander after all this nitpicking I have to say this is the best Mpc Star destroyer I have ever seen, the patience and time you have put into this build really shows and you should be really pleased with the outcome, I know we are!
:)

Guys, first off all thank you all for your great comments, means a lot!

Now, I'll try to touch every aspect of our conversation=)

First off all, the light that I used while I was taking doesn't really give the sense of color. I tried to use direct shadowcasting light (from a table lamp) with a slight addition of diffused surrounding light (from the main room-lights covered with sheets of paper) to simulate the sence of space and vacuum, where light diffusion is almost 0. So under real life the ship looks more whitish, and the layer of matt finish would light is tone even some more. Here are the pics, taken under the normal light

Still, I've decided to use revell's 371 satin light gray instead of white as the main color, as in films these destroyers looked almost white due to the studio light (very powerful one)) same thing was with for ex. Ent-D in Star Trek TNG as it was blueish-gray in life but looked almost white on the screen, and in tons of pre-CG-era films). So I decided to go the way of a real life look, as a ship of several kilometers long being whole white doesn't seem really realistic to me (I know, in Expanded Universe they've colored one of ISDs whole in red, but still I'll be a skeptic :))
Btw, check this, with colors normalized (Adywan did a killer job I'd say once again) this bird looks much more gray, then even I myself remember it from my early childhood.

Adywans Star wars: Revisited - The Opening Scene.

About the panels. I've compared the pics taken under both "space" and normal light and the actual thing I'm holding in hand, and would sign under Igard's words, that long shadows made much of them look thicker then they really are. But still some of them are thick. Well.. I think this is going to stay as it is. I've had a thought for some time to try sanding them down and airbrush some more paint over them. But probability of ruining everything is very high in that case, so I'm not going to walk this way. Let this be a little distinguishness from canon of my ship :)

Then, thank you, guys, for helping me with the weathering decision. After reading your comments and watching the opening scene of ANH I'm saying no to weathering. Let the pristine hull of this ship be a one more prove of Empires unlimited might! (its imperial march that should playing in background now) ;D
I'll try to reach some color difference by paneling with a pencil (more on this bellow)

Also thank you for your advices in using glue for fiber-optics.I think I'll try to find Krystal Klear or that foamie glue for building in my locals (I think that I've seen Krystal Klear once, if I'm not mistaken). If I can't I'll go the way of epoxy, as I've got LOTS of this stuff at work with any curing time it is possible to imagine. I'll just have to check each type I'll be using on a sample, as I've heard that some epoxy activators might be hazardous for fibers and can cause their disfunction.

You know, applying the paint really pushed me ahead, and along with your great comments gave a big motivation. So, during this evening I've managed to spray all surfaces with future, and apply coloration to the tiny Blockade Runner and the Falcon. Here are some photos:

Finally, about the paneling. For the purpose of applying lots of tiny panel lines I'm going to use a fine 0.25 automatic pencil, and a small metal rectangle as a ruler. Over the plain layer of future, I'll print a web of lines, barely seen individually, but all together giving some sense of color difference instead of weathering. Besides, it should push detalization even more ahead. I've given this method a small try on the model's surface, here is the result

Fewh, lots of letters have I typed, hope you wouldn't be too bored reading ;D
Thank you again for the interest in my project, friends!
Cheers!

Wow looks even nicer in those pics I take my comments back lol! Epic build

Awesome, Sol! This makes me want to play x-wing vs tie-fighter again. I loved blowing these things up in my tiny snub fighter! ;D

Sol, MAN-O-MAN that is awesome. So much detail...so much detail...

Is this the AMT kit???...!?!?!

That base deserves a round a applause too.

APPLAUSE!

APPLAUSE!

Killer man. Killer.

This is coming together excellently, Solander.
Beautiful work detailing those tiny miniatures.

Latest posts

Back