Ideas on getting the spouse involved....

Grendels

Does anyone have any idea of how to get our spouses involved?

I am one lucky man, all I have to do is say paint it pink and she will build. I carefully nudge her with the idea that we get to spend time together.

My better half doesn't actually build with me but I am always asking advice from her about color schemes and things of that nature. She is a great artist and I value her opinion greatly. I get 100% support from her. She is actually the person that got me back into the hobby about 4 years ago. Like John, I feel very fortunate about that.

i do the same with my one CT, She teaches interior design so she has a better grasp on colors than i would, if I want to mix a color ill ask her and walla my color is ready :)

Shortly before we separated, my now-ex found a subject she actually wanted to build herself.
RMS Titanic.
Sadly, we separated after that, and the build never got done.

Before the kids, my wife built a couple, including an amazing Peashooter scheme she painted by hand...but after the kids she says she doesn't have time...

My better half did (actually still probably would) want to build/paint a kit with me, it's just difficult to find the time (especially at the moment). She's wonderful actually, shes proud of me and supports me 100% I'm very lucky. She is my best critic, and also a great artist herself and knows if something looks rubbish and doesn't mind telling me either lol! It's kind of funny really her father got me into the hobby just over 2 years ago, so she's been around scale models all her life (I believe she may have built and painted a land rover when she was a kid).

Reading this thread makes me think of George Costanza and his worlds collide theory. ;D My wife has no interest in participating in the hobby and I am okay with that. We have enough common interests so we do lots of stuff together. I have my models and she has her scrapbooking.

My Wife helps Me with the Railroad. She paints the backdrops, and wants to work on scenery when We get to that stage, but build models so far is a NO go. She says She does not have the patients to do it. It drivers Her mad how long I can work on a model, and not get upset at all, no matter what happens, or how long it might take Me. And with My eyesight being bad, She can not believing how well I do whit the model.

Now if You could figure a way to make modeling more like shopping, I think You could get more Women involved!

Greg

The wife doesn't build with me, but she does do the research on my projects. She supports me 100% and she isn't shy to let me know when something doesn't look like it should. I'm lucky to have her or is it the other way around? Lol!

My wife when she first saw my models.....she was like "boys and their toys", but once she saw the work that went into them, and the artistic aspect of it, she was into it. He first kit was an AMT X-wing....but it is still in the box, because she discovered figuresm and has done 4-5 since

She has a Verlinden War Elephant planned, if she ever gets around to it.

My wife appriciates the research and artwork involved in my model building hobby. I ask for her opinion from time to time and show her models in progress and done to get her take. Also I have placed in my studio a nice comfy arm chair for her to "hang out on" if she wants to do some knitting or what ever.
It gives her a place in my world.
I think you would agree that our sweethearts are only asking to be a part of what we do. Each will vary.

I have been trying to get my better half to do figures. So won't try a model so I suggested figures. It's a no go so far. She rather do paint by numbers. Which is fine with me. We share the hobby too.

What about a doll's house? It's not exactly model building, but there are similarities. My mum's refurbishing a very old doll house and there's some serious work involved. Chopping up MDF, and cutting holes for doors/windows (she needed help with that). She's got styrene AM doors, staircase and window frames too, so there's some plastic cementing involved also.

I'm still having a hard time convincing my wife scale models are not toys....sigh.

When they start putting out scale model of shoes, handbags and jewlery and might me in with a chance ... lol ;D

I would have to say im a very lucky man to have a very supportive partner who takes an active entrest in my modelling and ive built her serval models in the past, up till now she has been happy to check out my projects and spend some time in the shed where the workshop is. But im very happy to say she now wants to build a model with me, so hopefully this sunday we will begin our first build togehter, what a lovely way to share our fourth year togehter ;D

fblanton said:
My wife appriciates the research and artwork involved in my model building hobby. I ask for her opinion from time to time and show her models in progress and done to get her take...

I'm in this boat.

My wife is so amazed, at least she claims to be at the detail but she has turned down every offer I have presented her to get evolved. She rather me paint more rooms in our house with the airbrush. Lol!

It is an interesting phenomenon, isn't it. I haven't asked my girlfriend to work on a model with me yet, but if I did, I would be fairly confident that her response would no. I can imagine her response would hinge on the fact that she doesn't think that she is patient enough to complete a model. Reading through other posts in this thread, it would seem that this is a common theme. Would this suggest that men are more patient then women (contrary to popular belief)? :p

PS. Despite her aversion to participating in it, my girlfriend is very supportive of my model building - she was the one who bought my airbrush ;D

Void,

you may have a point there ;)

I think its one of those hit and miss things, either they are keen to give it a try or not bothered. I think the biggest thing we need to remenber is not to force them into it, i remember in my Local model shop (well they sell 40k stuff) a guy buying his GF a set figures but she was clearly not into, but was humoring him, this seemed to be lost on him. Couldnt help but think it was gonna cause some serious arguments whem she couldnt take anymore of it and tell him, so the moral here to even if we mean well, not to be too pushy

that turned into a bit of a long story...ah well lol :p

I agree completely. I have been thinking about it and have come to this conclusion - it is about small steps.

I would start with one step of the process that would be most interesting to your partner. For instance, I would probably start with the painting process. Painting seems to be the most interesting step in model building (at least to those not involved in the hobby) - the results are instantaneous and it can be linked to canvas painting. You can work on painting the model together and from there you can transition to other parts of the process.

I'll be trying this strategy in the near future. :)

Latest posts

Back