I made a vacuformer today.

Junkie

I made a vacuformer today. I don't have any pictures yet, it's crude (v1.0) but it does work. Now to find some sheet styrene that doesn't cost an arm and a leg - some clear stuff too.

Still waiting on pictures ;D ... kicking around idea of making a vacume chamber for molding clear resins

The next vid will have some info on it. The first one i made worked ok, then I made a larger one but my frame was too small and it didn't get a tight seal. Have to make a new frame and a few adjustments.

I know how to make a vac-former, but my latest customer doesn't want to pay me for the work I've done since he doesn't have any money now! :-[ http://www.usplastic.com is where I get all my sheet styrene for a fraction of what most of these guys on the forums do at the home improvement stores do for a couple of small signs!

Here's the direct link to the sheet styrene page:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22883&catid=715

Scott, check around your area for a plastics supplier. I used to buy plastic sheet from the hobby stores until I needed large sheets. A search through the phone book....oh yeah...internet and found a place about 5 minutes from where I live. Prices are almost the same as usplastics. Also you can ask him to cut down your sheet for a small fee ( $1.00 )

In the 'guild we order at 4x8 foot sheet of .040 polystyrene sheet for relatively cheap from US plastics, the only issue is, well you needed to buy a big sheet as a minimum order. Think we still have some of that laying around somewhere

I found a local supplier. 4x8 sheet of .040 is $29 and .060 is $45.
Not bad for local, 1/2 hour away and I can pick it up. 32sq' should last me a while!

Scott Girvan said:
I found a local supplier. 4x8 sheet of .040 is $29 and .060 is $45.
Not bad for local, 1/2 hour away and I can pick it up. 32sq' should last me a while!

Considering 3-4 sheets 6"X12" of .040 Evergreen is $4, works out to 2sq ft for $4 via evergreen $2sq/ft Buying it by the 4X8 sheet makes it about 90cents sq/ft.

Must be the same place Ed buys his from!! LOL

This is a great thread that got me to hunting around the UK for a cheap/er source of HIPS as I have a plan in motion for a large scale Aliens APC (version of) and want to price up the various ways of building it. EMA Model Supplies here in the UK are really good and stock a large range of stuff to delight the modeller but their sheet sizes aren't the biggest. Here's their site if it's of any interest:http://www.ema-models.co.uk/

Plastic is what I usually work with but I'm thinking maybe I'll try making it from foamboard/resin etc and try for a mould of it and casting it.

Just found these guys, in case anyone else from the UK on here is also looking: http://www.plasticstockist.com/High-Impact-Polystyrene-Sheet.aspx

Actually, if anyone has used these guys before or has heard of them, what are they like?

Those US prices are pretty d@mn good considering the size of the sheets in stock. That's either a lot of small models or a seriously large one. ;)

I have a small one that can do up to 6" x 6" ..I use the plastic dinner plates from the party store,,I just cut off the rim...it's just the right thickness.. works great!.

I use the home carpet vac/cleaner ...it's stronger than my shop vac.

RocketSilo said:
.I use the plastic dinner plates from the party store

That's smart! I gotta give that a try. I possible please post a couple pics of your vacformer. Love to see it.

hi Scott , I tried to dig out my vac former and some other things today , but unfortunatly due to all the remodeling work we've just finished up I'm having trouble finding/getting to it right now.

once I get it out and get everything set back up, I'll take a little vid of it working, I use a hot plate to heat the plastic,so I need to find that too ..lol, right now the garage/shop is a disaster..hopefully this weekend.

right now I'm stuck building small models at my computer desk.

Latest posts

Back