Hobby Boss A-10 Thunderbolt II 1/48

Gettin' there!

img1163ko.jpg

FANTASTIC work.

While looking at the picture I was thinking what Scott mentioned. I'm like... "man, for someone who has never pre-shaded, he sure has some nice straight lines there"

Base coat is looking sweet!! Keep it up man!!

Thanks for all the encouragement everybody!

Here she is masked up and with the darker shade of ghost grey sprayed over:

img1167f.jpg

For reference, this is approximately what the scheme I'm going for looks like, although in reality, the two greys should blend right together (let's see how it turns out for me, though :p ).

a10fals.jpg

Well, I went ahead removed the mask, and it came out alright I think

img1176bl.jpg

It needs some touch-ups (I'm awful at using white-tac to mask complex curves, and yet again, it could have turned out better) and I think the contrast is too stark. I might try giving it a filter, and the coats of future, then matte once the decals are on should help tone it down, as well as any washes and weathering.

Thanks for looking!

I'm starting to realize the importance of good lighting. There are a few spots where a faint shadow plays on the model and makes it look wrong. This line in particular is just a shadow:

img1176bl.jpg

Lighting is major important. Just get you a couple of those clamp on worklights and out 100W GE Reveal bulbs in them. They work great.

Awesome A-10. What's not to like? ;D ;D ;D

Looking really great Hodges!! The grey scheme is a nice change on this one. You mentiond in your first post that you wanted this kit ever since you learned what makes a great kit. Could you let me (us) in on what does make a great kit?? Keep the progress and updates coming!

fumblethumbs said:
Looking really great Hodges!! The grey scheme is a nice change on this one. You mentiond in your first post that you wanted this kit ever since you learned what makes a great kit. Could you let me (us) in on what does make a great kit?? Keep the progress and updates coming!

Haha I'm sure not an expert. At the time I just meant engraved detail, reasonable accuracy and a good fit!

(this kit has all those)

gawd that looks awesome..some of you guys make me want to give up trying to build models. I think those are the best panel lines and pre-shading i have ever seen.

Wow thanks for all the encouragement!

But, it's not going as smoothly now as it has gone so far. I think Future hates me, because no matter what I try, I just can't get it to go on smooth. It's bumpy, even though I thinned it with windex plenty, and was very patient as I attempted to build it up coat by coat. I read somewhere that spraying a nice wet coat of pure windex can help get rid of that bumpiness, and I've done that a few times, and it seems to be getting better, but it's slow going for sure. Any ideas are welcome!

Latest posts

Back