Hobby Boss A-10 Thunderbolt II 1/48

Looking very nice. Just saw one of those fly today at the Airshow.
Keep up the good work.

I have just obtaind one of these after years of wanting one. It looks fantastic in the box, and from your build, it will look better assembled. 8)

Hodges said:
A bit of progress! Some of the major seams need attention, although you can't see it in the photo.

img1118y.jpg

That looks great....

neat progress .... keep doing what ever you are doing.... it works !

Norm.

Thats looking great so far. That kit has been on my wish list for a while now. I'm going to have to finally pull the trigger and pick up this kit. Cant wait to see this how this kit comes together for you.

phew...a bit of progress here

(sorry for the really bad pic)
img1137u.jpg

Some small areas need attention but it's pretty close to being ready for paint. The nose also needed a LOT of weight to keep it from tail-sitting. I don't have anything cool like bullets hanging around to put in there, I used chopped up soldering rod.

Nobody uses bullets, they use the lead from bullets. ;D .36 black powder balls are nice cause it's small and fits well with a little hammer mashing and is pretty cheap for 100. Bird shot is nice, but it's kinda pricey. But little fishing sinkers work just as well, and are probably much cheaper than solder. I'd definately go the fishing sinkers in the future to save a little coin.

That warthog is huge Hodges. Looks good too. Another option for nose weights that I've used in the past is 1/4" steel hunting shot (for slingshots) and kids craft clay. The smaller the diameter of the steel or lead ball, the more you can fit into an enclosed volume inside the model.

I went ahead and ordered a decal sheet, as the kit decals are intended for a bird with the grey/green camo pictured on the box.

Since I'm going for the ghost grey scheme, here's what I went with:

l_48-156f.jpg

Awesome decals. I was stationed there for three years and got to watch those Warthogs fly. I really want to build one of these and use those decals. I am trying to make a kit from all the bases I was stationed at. Your kit looks like its coming along well.

Thanks guys! I'm moving this thing along nicely now.

Here she is ready for paint.

img1150t.jpg

And you know what I thought I'd try my hand at pre-shading. It's a time-consuming method, but I'm halfway there now:

img1156da.jpg

Latest posts

Back