Hi New here

RocketSilo

I build the occasional plastic model, my main hobby is scratch building flying missile and rockets,like the Estes Kits but a little more indepth and detailed.

I joined here mainly to learn, and hope you guys can help me out as well, with some ideas on how to achieve some certain finishes/effects on my missiles.

should be fun and something a little bit different, to add to this already great forum.

Regards, Andy

Welcome.

Cool stuff the flying rockets, I built a SR-72 and a Swing-wing glider once. You should post some pictures of you models (rockets or static).

JMac

Hey Andy. Welcome and I'm sure you can get some tips on achieving the finishes you're after. Feel free to post videos of your rockets, that would be cool.

Welcome!! I use to have the rocket bug, and still have a few of them lying about. Please post a few things if you have them!!

Yes, welcome to the herd RocketSilo. Would also like to see any pics/videos if you have them.

The largest I've built so far,, a 2/3 scale coyote Missile.
I included a pic in my shop(or half of it), to show it in primer ..just like a big model lots of filling, sanding and priming

IMG_0934_crop.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

coyoteprimer.jpg

2007coyote.jpg

coyoteatapogeedirectlyoverhead.jpg

85200021.jpg

I'll post some smaller ones ,, I'm really into building detailed missiles and rockets that fit on a workbench..

I need help in getting some metal finishes, weathering, burnt metal,..I'm strting to use mor pastruct and evergreen I could use some tips on that also.. I'll post questions and pics as I go.

I'm ok at airbrushing simple finishes,, but want to get into doing more detail.and realistic finishes

This is what I'm working on now (the krypton missile)... I'm stumped at how achieve this finish ...? lol.

the rocket will be fully detailed,,rivets, panel lines,bands , details ... and in primer in a few days.
the model is almost 3' long and 2-1/2 inches in diameter.I have seem some really detailed ships and subs in that size range so I know It's very possible to detail it out.

Irkut-Su-30KN-Kh-31P-1.jpg

I've watched alot of DreamKnights Video's on youtube,, and have picked up a ton of ideas,, as far as washes and pastels,,airbrush tips... I found this forum thru his vids..

seems like a pretty cool dude .. Hope he will chime in some also

thanks Jmac ,
I'm pretty happy with them, but I'm ready to go beyond the almost Toy rocket look, to the more realistic look.

Well you went farther into rockets than I ever did. I am impressed, As for how to achieve the metal finish, Once you have a HARD primer surface (you don't want absorption) airbrush on MM metalizer or Alcad paints, beware that these are Lacquers and plastics have to be protected from them, probably should clear coat them afterward all of which add weight to your rocket.

alright thanks.. I have been looking into the metalizer paints like alclad II today
So If I understand right..I should paint a gloss black on the parts I want to metalize?

it looks like the metalizers go on very thin so a small bottle should go a long way.

I've been watching a load of scale modeling videos lately,, so I have drug out all my plastic models,,most of them a space oriented like the X-15, saturn V,lunar lander, and some sci-fi stuff.

I also found a Bigfoot truck model that I started on.. I may start on that one to get my airbrushing back to spraying details...As you can see from my rockets I'm used to spraying simple large areas of color with the AB.

Rockets were so fun! I did some when I was younger but nothing like that scale! WOW! Welcome to SMA man!

Latest posts

Back