Hi from England...

TheJackal

Hi my name is Carl and I'm an alc....oops wrong forum lol
I'm 40 years young and an I.T. geek with an inner creative trying to get out in the form of Photoshop, 3D modelling, photography and silly plastic models.
Like most people, I used to slap together Airfix kits with a tube of glue and a paintbrush (oh how I wish I had all those kits to do again now properly) and pin them to the ceiling.
Since I got my slippers (ie. airbrush and a set of nice foam files lol) I am finding again the joys of obsessing over tiny plastic models (read OCD...).
I'll post some pictures up soon, but for now I think I must be one of the best experts in STARTING kits. I just love the feeling of opening a new box. You know you should sit down and think what you are doing, but cant help yourself just cutting off a couple of bits and sticking them together before you have your dinner....
My current ongoing projects are.......Sean the sheep Land Rover, 1/48 Tamiya F16-C, Revell Camaro Z28, Revell 1/72 Jaguar, Revell Space Shuttle and Boosters and a Tamiya Porsche Carrera GT.

Loving the attitude of the Nerd Herd, keep the vids coming.

Hi from sunny Cornwall (fibbing furiously; it's grey and 'orrible here today).

Welcome in, Carl. Let's see some pics then!

Hello and welcome from Texas, if you ever have questions, just find the proper spot on the forum and ask.

Here you go, took some pics earlier of my Works in Progress.
167va8n.jpg
Just finished this last year after starting it 3 years ago lol
10pzf4i.jpg
My main current model a Tamiya Porsche Carrera GT
zyj2mv.jpg
Airfix Shaun the Sheep LandRover
2jingy.jpg
My old Car Camaro Z28 - going to practice bodywork finishes on this before the Porsche
3313z49.jpg
First attempt at weathering a while ago
xe3lea.jpg
Revel 1/75 Jagdpanther - actually bought this on an impulse after I started this thread.
wmhw1i.jpg
Tamiya Cromwell with the worst tracks ever made!
2uz34lc.jpg
Revell 1/72 Jaguar - again will end up as a practice for washes etc
2qioh20.jpg
Revel Space Shuttle with booster rockets - Purely because I made one (badly) as a kid
6gzd43.jpg
Tamiya F16C - need to improve my techniques a bit to do this justice

Nice work. Now we'll all chip in to help you get motivated to finish another one.

lol I don't know whether I should spoil the illusion.
The white background is just a roll of old Christmas wrapping paper, laid over my modelling desk out in the conservatory. I think the slightly opaque plastic roof diffuses the light nicely.
Shot with a Panasonic FZ18 (not even a "real" SLR lol) with a small aperture F8 so everything is in focus. I used a tripod with a 2 second shutter and image stabilisation turned off to help the sharpness. White balance was on auto as it is normally very accurate in this camera.
I used the pop up flash and the slow sync flash option so as not to blow out the highlights and reduce glare.
Because I shot in RAW, I then open the files in Lightroom 3 and tweak the contrast a little and finish off with a bit of noise reduction and sharpening.
The border and logo was then done in Photoshop. Lightroom can do it but I just haven't set it up yet.
Thanks for the comments guys.

Ah, hell. I'm really going to have to improve my WIP pics. Mine almost always include half finished cups of tea, the occasional beer and plenty of plastic scrap bits scattered across the bench. Sometimes they even include the model.

All looking good. Which one is top of your 'to do' list then?

The Carrera GT is my main one at the mo. Using the Landrover and Jagdpanther as a break in between.

TheJackal said:
lol I don't know whether I should spoil the illusion.
The white background is just a roll of old Christmas wrapping paper, laid over my modelling desk out in the conservatory. I think the slightly opaque plastic roof diffuses the light nicely.
Shot with a Panasonic FZ18 (not even a "real" SLR lol) with a small aperture F8 so everything is in focus. I used a tripod with a 2 second shutter and image stabilisation turned off to help the sharpness. White balance was on auto as it is normally very accurate in this camera.
I used the pop up flash and the slow sync flash option so as not to blow out the highlights and reduce glare.
Because I shot in RAW, I then open the files in Lightroom 3 and tweak the contrast a little and finish off with a bit of noise reduction and sharpening.
The border and logo was then done in Photoshop. Lightroom can do it but I just haven't set it up yet.
Thanks for the comments guys.

...sure I like chicken!

(I'm not a camera person. If it isn't fuzzy and shows up good, that's good for me. Some day I'll learn the stuff.)

Just a little update on a couple of my models.
The Airfix Shaun the Sheep Land Rover is built now. All that is left is to try some mud weathering on the main body.
The Tamiya Carrera GT chassis is finished, just the body left to do.
2dv2zpz.jpg
zjeydi.jpg
4trcbm.jpg

If anyone in the UK is interested, Home Bargains are doing the Shaun the Sheep kits for £8, reduced from about £25. I picked up a tractor one for myself, but I promise not to start it until I finish few more models lol

Latest posts

Back