Here's My Project: Tamiya 1:48 F4U Corsair!

bkgActual

Reaction score
Hi All,

The model has been done for some time, but I have been really ill so have not spent a lot of time on the net, and even less in the shop.

Anyway, I am on the mend and back to work. I am attaching a few pics of the build and will follow up with some vids I did early in the build.

Tamiya did a great job on the kit, and I am afraid I didn't do it justice, but all in all I am not too dissapointed with my effort. I had to mix my own blue because I was not able to find one suitable from a local store. I screwed up a couple of the decals, and somehow wound up with a blue finger print on the INSIDE of the canopy. Don't ask me how the hell THAT happened! The kinky part is that I used an airbrush to paint the blue and masked the canopy before I began! Can you say "nooooooooooooob"? :eek:

Hope you will offer constructive critisism. It is the only way I can get better. Be gentle, this is my first time...

[attachment deleted by admin]

hilld

Reaction score
Great looking F4U. I really like the decals, what a neat scheme. Your weathering is awesome especially around the guns, very realistic. Great work my man.

FW190A-8

Reaction score
Looks very nice BKG. Any problems along the way that you remember? I have this kit in the stash so I am keen to hear what you thought.
cheers,
John

bkgActual

Reaction score
hilld said:
Great looking F4U. I really like the decals, what a neat scheme. Your weathering is awesome especially around the guns, very realistic. Great work my man.
Thanks so much for the kind words bud! I appreciate it.

bkgActual

Reaction score
FW190A-8 said:
Looks very nice BKG. Any problems along the way that you remember? I have this kit in the stash so I am keen to hear what you thought.
cheers,
John
Thanks John. Actually, there were no real problems with the kit that I recall. It fit together really well and the instructions were very straight-forward. I think the biggest challenge I faced was masking the canopy and making sure I didn't mess up the panel lines. Also, finding a sea blue that fit the scale of the model was almost impossible. I wound up mixing my own from various shades of Vallejo acrylics. I think I have that listed on the vids.
Basically, the only real problem was my lack of experience with aircraft! ;)

Myke

Reaction score
Nice and SHINY!!! Love it!
Great job mate!

bkgActual

Reaction score
Myke said:
Nice and SHINY!!! Love it!
Great job mate!
Thanks for the kind words mate. Next one will be better (I hope)...

Glorfindel

Reaction score
I really like this. I'm thinking of building one of these Corsairs.

bkgActual

Reaction score
Glorfindel said:
I really like this. I'm thinking of building one of these Corsairs.
Thanks buddy! I would recommend this model any day of the week. Honestly, I don't think I did the kit justice, but it was really a fun one to build. The fit was excellent and there were no major casting issues. The instructions were clear and straight forward and they had a color list for the paint needed.

For twenty bucks, this kit was a deal.

13aceofspades13

lets kick some tires and lights some fires!
Reaction score
looks like this one ins coming along swimmingly.

bkgActual

Reaction score
13aceofspades13 said:
looks like this one ins coming along swimmingly.
Thanks very much. I actually completed it over a month ago, but just posted these recently. :)

Airmedical

Reaction score
Love Rommel and Trooper! LOL! Seem like a couple a cool dogs.

The build is coming along nicely. Good choice of aircraft.

Latest posts