Help painting complex body

scaledale

I've started working on a Revell Enzo Ferrari and the body consists of quite a few seperate parts. I can glue the nose piece in and tape the trunk/hood in place, but the parts that make up the side scoops are too curvy to pre assemble and spray. Any hints on how to approach this? I'll be using Tamiya Italian red from a rattle can but I do have a good airbrush.

Dale

[attachment deleted by admin]

You could attach the smaller parts to cocktail sticks ,or bits of dowel ....that sort of thing , just use a small blob of Blu tac to stick them on . If the inside needs painted ,do that first .I normally use cocktail sticks myself and get a small block of foam or a box to push the sticks into while the parts dry ;)
Make up a wire frame for the larger body parts ,just tape it to the inside .
Chris.

Any parts which do NOT require a seam fill can all be painted separately the way we do with with mobile suits (Gundam). BUT....

I would assemble the whole thing, mask off the windshield, wheel wells, etc, and paint it with an airbrush...

Chris S said:
You could attach the smaller parts to cocktail sticks ,or bits of dowel ....that sort of thing , just use a small blob of Blu tac to stick them on . If the inside needs painted ,do that first .I normally use cocktail sticks myself and get a small block of foam or a box to push the sticks into while the parts dry ;)
Make up a wire frame for the larger body parts ,just tape it to the inside .
Chris.
Thanks for the reply. This is pretty much what I do except that I use either alligator clips or painter's tape on the sticks. The tacky stuff sounds like a better alternative to tape with the smaller parts. Since I got back into modeling. I have found alternative uses for all kinds of household stuff. Fun. The inside part of everything that will be body color has been painted semi-gloss black and is ready for the first coat of color. The undercoating showed that all the little vents and things in the Enzo body let paint leak through the masking tape so I think I'm going to use either clay or Silly Putty to plug them up under the masking tape. I'll move this over to one of the build pages and post some photos as I go along. This kit is my first serious attempt at detailing.

The problem I ran into on previous kits is that the paint build up on the parts messed with the finish tolerances on the parts. I chipped a really nice Pearl white on a vintage Corvette filing the paint off the edges to make the hood fit when I was done. That was a bummer...

ScaleDale

Latest posts

Back