Hello, Snacko here...

Snacko

Well, here's my first post like the registration said. darn those spammers, hate 'em!

I am 51 and made simple models when I was a kid. Glued them up, and painted them with a brush and that's it. Several years ago I tried to get more detailed and bought a cheap can airbrush and some Testor's Contour Putty to first try and fill the seams. But I had no talent at using it to fill any seams or cracks. It just caked up on me and did not work. Thought I must not know how to use this fine product from a great company like Testors...

Now here I am again years later. I'm giving this another go. I have an airbrush/compressor coming in the mail soon, and went down to my local hobby shop to look around. The owner there told me that Testor's Coutour Putty was crap and didn't work well. And here I thought it was ME, so I had given it up!! Is that true, that this Testors putty is crap??

I'm sure I'll have more questions. ;D

L8r,
Snacko

Hi Snacko!
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

I haven't used Testors putty so I can't give you feedback on it. I use automotive putty - Bondo actually - myself. Put a thin coat and clean up and/or smooth with a Qtip dipped in acetone based fingernail polish remover.

Hello and Welcome!!

As for putty, each one of us has our favorites. I have used bondo putty before, and since Scott posted that you can thin it with fingernail polish remover, I might just give it another try.... I just have to make the time to stop by an autoparts store and get some.

I personally use a combination of Sergents white and mr. surfacer 500. But here is a link to a thread that discusses different types of putty and their uses:

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,1547.0.html

Hope it helps!!

Latest posts

Back