Have social media sites changed the way you use modelling forums?

Have social media sites changed the way you use modelling forums?

• Yes

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • No

Votes: 30 68.2%

• Total voters

Junkie

Pretty simple question...just wondering if you find yourself on social media (Facebook in particular) more often than modelling forums? Are you 'replacing' forums with social media...using those sites to post WIP etc...

Love to hear your thoughts - just curious more than anything else really.

Thanks
Scott

For me, I would have to say no. FB adds to it, but I have had my 5-6 established forums that I go to most often (SMA being the main one) that I have been going to since long before FB was around, or at least main stream.

While the modeling group sites on FB is cool an all, I still prefer a forum such as SMA over the FB group pages.

I don't have FB, used to but lost interest in it. I joined some car forums about the same time that I cancelled my FB account (around 2010). Keep in mind I've got nothing against FB, the wife uses it and I find its great for certain things, but I think that forums have what I'm looking for in terms of technical info, people I want to socialize with etc... This is the first modeling forum that I joined and I'm amazed at the skill of many members of this forum, great place to learn and share our creations.

PS: I have to add this is one of the most pleasant forums I take part in, members are polite, respectful and like to help one another, which is a nice change.

Not really, I use sites like tumblr to post HQ photos of my completed kits but other then that most of my work never appears on twitter or facebook or anything. I prefer Model forums over social media myself because experienced people can give you experienced tips on how to do something or we can just share our completed works and tell each other what we like about them.

I prefer the forums over social media sites.
I find discussing builds and build logs too disjointed on SM sites to follow, and not always to the targeted audience. Facebook and G+, for example, are just way too fractured. A lot better interaction and constructive criticism on a forum.

Jim

I pretty much stick to modelling forums. I signed up for FB just to see what it was about. No real info there about me just have the local radio station, my favourite band and a young entertainer liked(?) just to see what's new with them. But since I got my Apple laptop, haven't even added it to my bookmarks. I'm on YouTube which seems to also drag along Google+ but I haven't done anything with that either. I can do enough "sharing" on the modelling forums to satisfy any need that way. Guess I'm not a very social guy… ;)

I'm on FB quite a lot but not for modelling, I hardly ever post a model. I look at other peoples work when it pops up on the news feed, but I still much prefer dedicated forums.

Never cared much for Facebook and the like.
Mainly joined Twitter to stay up on updates to the SSM store and a couple of others.

Forums are still where I do most of my model referencing/talking

I have hated Facebook since it began and I dubbed it a social cancer. I signed up eventually to try and keep up w friends activities but got sick of seeing pointless status updates and the race to have as many friends (if you would not stop and talk to them in the street why are they seeing all your personal info) so I pulled the plug pretty quick.
And working in IT for many years I've seen sooo many people phished/hacked/conned or just plain fooled by social media. Rant over.
Forums offer a resource dedicated to a topic, and as others have mentioned make for better conversations.
They also give you the ability to focus on threads of interest.
I have cut down my regular forums to 2, a local NZ forum and SMA, as YouTube videos take a lot of my modelling based computer time.

I wouldn't say it's changed the way I use forums at all, but it certainly has relegated them to a lesser place of importance for me. Having said that I am not exactly a big forum user anyway.

Forums are great for sharing your work with like minded modelers, in appropriate areas of focused topics of interest with smaller groups of people. You can start a thread focusing on your model and the entire thread can basically talk about your model. You can then look around the specific area of interest that you have and comment and converse on similar models with a small group of people.

Facebook has opened the door so much wider as far as audience is concerned, you probably wont find a non English speaker coming in here and commenting on my build, but that same person may be very inclined to simply 'like' your post letting you know that he/she 'digs' it, or they may even write a one word comment in their native tongue like "magnifico!" and if it is a word you don't understand, there is usually a 'translate' option directly below it. You can post a photo and someone sitting in the dentist waiting room scrolling through on their phone can simply click 'like' and give you a sort of silent boost of support and encouragement without having to log in, post a bunch of text and hit submit.

I think the use of the term 'friends' conjures up the wrong idea to many people, as like has been mentioned, most of these people may not even be real friends. In simple truth, it is merely a label and facebook offers many other labels and groups as well as the ability to create custom groups in which people can be assigned. You can have many different groupings of people from closest family to most distant frienemy and each group is only allowed access to what you have allowed them access to, it's only a free for all if you allow it to be.

While they are definitely a bit convoluted and take some figuring out, facebook's built in options allow you complete control over who sees what, and who can't see what, so that fellow modeler who sent you a friend request because he read your article in a magazine half way around the globe can be assigned to the 'acquaintance' group, thus keeping him from seeing pictures of your kids at the family cookout, or your hot wife/gf in a bikini on the beach, leaving those photos and posts for the eyes of the people you've allowed only.

I have tons of modelers who I have allowed on my facebook, but they can only see my modeling posts. Others whom I've met and/or hung out with and/or have known and talked to for years can see a little more of my personal life. Local friends and family are allowed an even bigger window in my life since their kids may be in those same photos etc. I can set up an album and place photos in it and only allow one specific person access, I can make things public, private, friends only, friends of friends and the list goes on. I can completely customize it if I want to put in the time.

I often read/hear people saying that there is no privacy but the truth is, it's actually the opposite. There are many options and abilities to actually have more privacy. If there is a person who causes trouble, or posts nasty stuff, only goes on political rants, you can 'unfollow' them removing their posts from your 'news feed'. If you still see them posting crap on friends facebook pages and it turns you off you can simply block them and you'll never see their posts and they will never see yours. Ever. It's that simple really and it's not quite as cut and dry on forums.

I know one older gentleman whom I used to consider a good friend who has since stopped posting here because of the facebook feed on the right of the homepage. I went out of my way on several occasions to help him with things, made him custom videos that only he got to see to explain his questions and supported him in everything he did, heck we often spoke privately and even on the phone a few times. His attitude was that all of the views on his threads were now from facebook people who didn't do anything to support him, which is just not true. That's not how the facebook feed works, no one is on facebook looking at his stuff through the feed and not contributing. View counts vs replies have always been hugely uneven on forums and he never made much of a stink on other forums when he had 350 views and 10 comments but whatever, how do you even go about explaining something like that to an older man whose made his mind up even if it's down right silly. Often times in life, the biggest misunderstandings are based on a lack of facts and an extra helping of emotions used to make decisions.

So while it's clear that facebook is not for everyone and does have it's issues, I think if more people took the time to get well informed and perhaps even shown how to use their settings, most people would find that they are in far better control over who sees what and who they share their stuff with on facebook, than they are on your average forum.

In case that was all tl;dr than short answer, No. It doesn't change the way I use forums, but it does change the way I reach my audience.

8)

yeah but they aren't very fond of you.

/troof

*now where's that 'unfriend' option... ;D

One thing I've noticed in the past about the FB vs forums topic is that it leads to some rustled jimmies in many cases

I hate to say it but recently I've found myself post WIP's on FB a lot more than SMA. I'm on SMA a lot looking at peoples builds etc but I've found the more time I spend on the computer the less time I spend at the bench. For me, it's just so much easier to snap a picture with my phone and update it strait to FB for all my friends to see. What I've found is that a lot of the people I'm friendly with her on SMA are also on FB. To help ensure that the SMA only crowd gets to see my work I just did a massive picture upload into a WIP thread, which, I have to admit made me feel very good. At the end of the day, with a job, house, wife, baby,....... list goes on.... It's easier and less time consuming for me on a daily basis to post WIP pics to FB and then come back and upload them here.

I'm proud to say that as of this moment I am, and have never been on Facebook. I partake in no social media. Which makes me about as rare as a flying pig. And I don't mean the regular flying pigs, but rather the kind with purple polka dots and lizard legs. ;D So no, social media hasn't changed the way I use forums.

No!! I prefer to be a part of a dedicated forum. I think that everyone is there because of the hobby they are into. FB has never really appealed to me. i have an account but have been on it twice in three months..to much goign on there to be consice about any one subject..This forum in particular I luv..The layout was good and is now even better. The people that are members here have the same mindset/goals. To enjoy building models/figures. for some is the details, for others the paint. So whatever you are looking to improve on, there will be information there and the best thing especially for beginners is the lack of judgement that lets the person and thier skills grow.
The slogan here completion not perfection (hope i got that right) lets everyone be/do what they want to and not feel
bad about it..On FB have seen some beginners work torn apart and you know they gave up a hobby that would have enriched their life..Also anyone looking at the some of the responses on FB to peoples work would be turned off by it and may assume that it was a modeler that made the comments and in most cases it isn't...Sorry to ramble...Thanx to all..:)

Latest posts

Back