Grendel's Falcon

YOULI said:
I tired several time today to watch your last video Grendel... Didn't succeded... :(
Tried other links and it works... VEry strange (I want to watch your MF report ! :) ).

Others have told me the same thing through PM's. Right click on it and select popout. Then it will play. It is some sort of YouTube glitch, and will probably fix itself in a bit.

Even though it was accidental, I think it was a good idea to cut through those back flaps, it just gives that area a more mechanical look to it. Sweet work Grendels!

scratchy said:
Even though it was accidental, I think it was a good idea to cut through those back flaps, it just gives that area a more mechanical look to it. Sweet work Grendels!

I concur!

And the vid worked for me.

Ozzy

Thanks guys. I am not disappointed it happened. I took some time to think about it and it does look better. I still haven't done anything to fix the underside of those flaps. That is on the schedule for this week.

I'd say continue with what you'd had in mind for the individual flaps, they didn't add that detail (or any thruster details) as it had an optical effect over it.

You are thinking of a logical reason for them....go with it

J

Hey Grendels,
You're doing great work!
IMO, those plates are thrust vector flappy things and as they each have an actuator to operate each one independently they would (in REAL life) be separate plates so I am building with that in mine regardless of what the studio Falcon looks like.
BTW, I love your video updates!
Keep up the good work G!

Grendels said:
YOULI said:
I tired several time today to watch your last video Grendel... Didn't succeded... :(
Tried other links and it works... VEry strange (I want to watch your MF report ! :) ).

Others have told me the same thing through PM's. Right click on it and select popout. Then it will play. It is some sort of YouTube glitch, and will probably fix itself in a bit.

I'm a Mac User, that, sometimes, explains a lot... Don't have any "right click" on my laptop computer, and didn't found Popout selection... Well... Will be patient :D (argh !) :D

YOULI said:
Grendels said:
YOULI said:

I'm a Mac User, that, sometimes, explains a lot... Don't have any "right click" on my laptop computer, and didn't found Popout selection... Well... Will be patient :D (argh !) :D

If it is still not working by later tonight, I am going to pull it and then post it again. That should fix things.

Definitely still have a lot of work to do there, John. But there's definitely quick progress being made

Grendels said:
YOULI said:
Grendels said:
YOULI said:

If it is still not working by later tonight, I am going to pull it and then post it again. That should fix things.

IT WORKS ! Yeeeeha ! Will watch here right now ! :D

Omegaman55 said:
Hey Grendels,
You're doing great work!
IMO, those plates are thrust vector flappy things and as they each have an actuator to operate each one independently they would (in REAL life) be separate plates so I am building with that in mine regardless of what the studio Falcon looks like.
BTW, I love your video updates!
Keep up the good work G!

Yep, that makes perfect sense Omegaman. Looking really good G! Some nifty cutting and scraping there. The cat sure looks comfy in the chair!!

+1 :D

If you take that kind of pictures as references you see that logically the "flaps" are moving... Or, at last, are movable...

MillenniumFalconCrossSection-SWICS.jpg

Looks like the Greeblies vid was re-upped, but it still won't play. Tried the Pop-out right-click, to no avail... Any chance you could post the vid for download somewhere (not MegaUpload I guess)? If not, oh well. No worries.

Well I did delete the video and upload it again. The same error happened. The video won't load.

If your browser supports flash. (Apple users are out of luck here, they use a version of HTML....) Right click on the video and select popout.

I am going to try and paste the URL here:

Millennium Falcon part 5: Removing the Greeblies... - YouTube

Click the link below the video and it should play fine.

Thanks all, just looking at the model it looks like those thrust plates should be able to move. But I cut too far back, so some styrene strip will be added to fix that right up. I am only going to put the strip over the parts I cut too far. NOT the thrust flaps. Those I am going to leave as they are.

Grendels said:
Well I did delete the video and upload it again. The same error happened. The video won't load.

If your browser supports flash. (Apple users are out of luck here, they use a version of HTML....) Right click on the video and select popout.

I am going to try and paste the URL here:

Millennium Falcon part 5: Removing the Greeblies... - YouTube

Click the link below the video and it should play fine.

Thanks all, just looking at the model it looks like those thrust plates should be able to move. But I cut too far back, so some styrene strip will be added to fix that right up. I am only going to put the strip over the parts I cut too far. NOT the thrust flaps. Those I am going to leave as they are.

I've been watching your vid's on my iPad, no problems???

As far as the "thrust plates" go, I only cut back as far as the engine screen, I was almost tempted to cut them all off and reposition them like I might if building a plane 'cranking an' banking' but I'm glad I resisted that one!!!! ;)

I should get back onto my Falcon this week, try to tie up loose ends and make some progress????
Keep it going G, it's looking good!!!

Just a 'safety for the model' tip, for anyone cutting out the vents....
I also used a multi tool to open up the holes but I did it from underneath so I could see exactly where the cutter was going. This actually in turn makes it safe for the surface of the model just in case it does bite in and want to walk across the model... Just a thought...

Omegaman55 said:
As far as the "thrust plates" go, I only cut back as far as the engine screen, I was almost tempted to cut them all off and reposition them like I might if building a plane 'cranking an' banking' but I'm glad I resisted that one!!!! ;)

I should get back onto my Falcon this week, try to tie up loose ends and make some progress????
Keep it going G, it's looking good!!!

The Haynes Falcon book has a nice illustration of how those plates could work

p1000822a.jpg

J

Omegaman55 said:
Just a 'safety for the model' tip, for anyone cutting out the vents....
I also used a multi tool to open up the holes but I did it from underneath so I could see exactly where the cutter was going. This actually in turn makes it safe for the surface of the model just in case it does bite in and want to walk across the model... Just a thought...

Nice tip!

I will be back to mine this week as well. Work put a stop to my building last week. It won't do it this week!

@ Jaitea, that was what put me onto the idea of cutting out between the plates.... Also, if you look at the illustration shows, you would only ever have a clear cut through upto the engine grill.

@ Grendels, I'll look forward to it.... :)

Here is a photo that shows what I have done:

20120131_1.jpg

As you can see, cutting out the thrust plates is pretty easy, just don't go too far like I did.....

Latest posts

Back