Gluing an aluminum barrel extension to the styrene barrel?

lpatten

I am new to armor model building and I am doing a 105 howitzer. It has an aluminum barrel tip and reg plastic glue doesn't, hold. Any suggestions?

Lew

Hi, Lew, and welcome to the Herd!

Have you tried using CA (cyanonacrylate, aka Krazy Glue), or a two-part epoxy glue?

Best regards,
Brad

As I said am a new builder. I will pick some of each up and give them a try. Which first? I am in my 60's and haven't built models since I was 14. They are a lot more detailed now. Lota fun!
Lew

lpatten said:
I am new to armor model building and I am doing a 105 howitzer. It has an aluminum barrel tip and reg plastic glue doesn't, hold. Any suggestions?

Lew

Plastic cement will not work with anything other than plastic. Follow the Baron's advice and give super glue a try, super glue is often referred to as CA in the model world. two part epoxie works well too, in my opinion its a little harder to work with. Anytime you need to attach metal to plastic those are your two best options.

Super glue comes in different viscosities, usually thick, medium, and instant bond. I would recommend the thicker slow dry stuff as this allows you more time to position your parts. And pick yourself up a bottle of Zip Kicker or CA Accelerator, you spray this on your super glue and it makes it cure instantly. This is great if you are impatient like me or need to tack something together really quick.

I use several types of glue, but my go-to is a thicker super glue such as Zap-A-Gap or Insta-Cure. Like MrNatural says, it gives you a little more time to make final adjustments but it also fills small gaps at attachment points and can be painted over.

Latest posts

Back