Frustrating airbrush session...

steamjohn

Okay...here's one. Earlier this evening I was attempting to put a coat of Dunkelgelb on a panzer. i was using Tamiya Dk yellow, thinned about 60%paint 40% thinner, i'm not sure if this is the correct ratio but it's worked for me in the past.
I was painting in the garage, w/ a garage door partially open, outside temp about 70 degrees farenheit, and it's not real humid right now. But the interior of my garage is warmer than outside. My PSI is between 25- 30...
Now the problem, first i used my Testor's Aztec SA brush, I was getting plenty of air..but no paint. I used the same brush last nite, and it worked fine, cleaned it and put it away for tonite.
:-\
Then I tried my Master brush, it started out fine but then, it too would not pickup any paint.
In both cases the paint jar(?) was about 2/3 full. After dealing w/ frustration, I brought both inside for cleaning and to just walkaway. I was cleaning them in my basement, which is cooler than the garage, I ran some Rubbing alcohol thru both, and both picked up and sprayed fine.
What Gives???

I would almost say that your paint was too thick. Tamiya paint....start with a 50/50 mix of paint to thinner, which usually works for normal paint jobs...for finer work you want the paint thinner than that again, drop the airpressure and get closer....but that isn't what you were doing there.

I was thinkig the warm temp in my garage also might have something to do w/ it. I planing my next session in the basement bathroom, cooler and has an exhaust fan.

I would have to guess the same here....Paint is too thick. Use the "skim milk" thought on this. Mix, like Scott said, 50/50 to start or take it to a skim milk consistency and give it a shot. What are you thinning with btw?

Since it is a bottom feed brush, I would think that there is a obstruction somewhere in the brush. I had something like this happen in the past and all it took was to clean up the air brush well.

Also the thinner does matter. I found that the Tamiya thinners work really well and that a 50/50 works best with their regular thinner, but if you use their lacquer thinner, you don't need as much thinner, maybe 60% paint to 40% thinner.

Latest posts

Back