FORUM LAYOUT

Should the layout of the forum be changed/simplified?

• Total voters
Elm City Hobbies said:
I've been checking out elm city hobbies,great selection !, but I'm not sure what shipping will do to me being in the states?

Shipping isn't too bad, as long as you don't want it fast.

Under 1kg (2.2lbs for the metrically challenged) it is generally in the $12 range for shipping via Surface (less if the weight is less than that again). Air is a little more expensive. Once you get over the 1kg weight, it then falls into Expedited, which can end up being pricey, but, depending on what you are buying (ie: multiple large kits) it can end up being cheaper or at least the same as a parcel under 1kg.

Actually sometimes cheaper to ship to the US, then it is to other places in Canada, which is completely messed up.

Thanks,I am drooling on some kits ,, will probably be pulling the trigger shortly ,

NO worries man. We're just having an honest open conversation. I'm a big boy.

A big issue in my view is that the forum structure doesn't seem to be clear to many users. Take Sci-Fi for example: There are sub forums for WIP and several for completed builds.....BUT many people put WIP and completed builds in the parent Sci-Fi forum. Maybe some ruthless moderating would go a long way... :)

hay scott, i have an idea for the forum, i don't know if its possible but its worth a shot.

its a support button, allow me to enplane! its somewhat like a thumbs up or a like button, they use it in youtube, and in the last forum i was in.

youtube its called the thumbs up button, on the comment someone makes, if you like the comment, you click the thumbs up or like or support button, if you dont... you click the thumbs down.

also... with the like button, you can have a box that shows the names of the thumbs up or supporters if they so choose to show there names in the box, for thumbs down, same thing, if they so choose to thumbs down the comment or thread!

the downside is, there can aways be some troll that will want to click the thumbs down button beacuse they think its funny.

just thought i would make a little suggestion XD

sunsanvil said:
Maybe some ruthless moderating would go a long way... :)

I wholeheartedly agree. ;)

There are more than a few posts here on site where you might find *edited by scalemodelmadman at the bottom of the members posts. I always look for broken quote tags, broken image tags, threads in the wrong forums etc. and fix them or move them for the poster and those who follow along for ease of reading and understanding.

Unfortunately I don't follow the sci-fi sections all that much so hopefully other staffers who do will keep an eye out for that type of thing.

--nods--
I'll start trying to keep a better eye on things in there. I definitely spend most of my time here viewing that area

Jingles said:
13aceofspades13 said:
youtube its called the thumbs up button, on the comment someone makes, if you like the comment, you click the thumbs up or like or support button, if you dont... you click the thumbs down.

I think it's a bad idea to give someone the ability to criticize a member for being active on the forum.

i whole heartedly agree, thats what i said, thats what makes this website so great, everyone is so positive, and if they dont have anything nice to say they probably don't say anything at all! maybe stick with the support button, if someone really likes the comment they can simply click support, and if they want there name viewed in the box as one of the supporters, they can so choose!

i just thought it would be a good idea beacuse so many times i have wish i had that button to click!

I don't agree with a button(s) that marks someone supportive or non-supportive.
I will still read and draw something from any post "good" or "bad"..
I'm not here to judge people,, and than make a public vote on my opinion.
I am a member of quite a few forums and none of them have a status voting system.
it just throws an unnecessary tool onto the forum.
It might even shy people away in the process..I figure, a scale model discussion forum is not the format to strive to gain/or maintain some type of status ranking.

RocketSilo said:
I don't agree with a button(s) that marks someone supportive or non-supportive.

Jingles said:
13aceofspades13 said:

I think it's a bad idea to give someone the ability to criticize a member for being active on the forum.

However much you dislike a post or a particular member, they should be free to post without fear of taking flak for their opinions.

To that end, a lack of support could also be viewed as criticism, however tacit.

Jingles.

I agree with RocketSilo & Jingles.

I don't see a place for the "thumbs down" button here. Not even sure I would want to see a "like" or similar button. I would much rather see someone respond to a given post with advice, comments, even constructive/supportive criticisms when applicable. I’m not sure what value I would get from a set voting buttons as a modeller and contributor to this forum community, but I know exactly the value of the comments I received to date. I may not like something that is posted, and if I don't, I can always post a (respectful) reply as to why...

Just my two cents.

Yup, that aint gonna happen. I often post something like: Looking good OR Great job OR AWESOME. Those are the equivalent of a like I guess -

When I see a thread that has photos I look at them and then at least say something - or try to. Time is a factor - some days I can browse longer than others. Sometimes I have something constructive to offer, sometimes I'm just looking around.

We do have a 'karma' option within this forum software. Basically when someone does something good then you click it to add to their 'karma' and vice versa. I didn't enable it because it's stupid IMO - and an open door for bad things to happen and be felt.

I was busy standing in line at the passport office today otherwise I'd start the big sma forum layout edit - it's coming this week. Hold on to your exactos.

i see your guyses points, we arent here to judge work, we are just here to post, and get other peoples imput more or less and have a good time relating with eachothers work XD

even though i wasn't looking at it at a judgmental point of view, i guess it would be pointless to have a button when you could say, thats cool, or, i agree with your comment, at the same time some people could say, "i have more supports than you." and then use it as an excuse to say that there work is better, which is stupid beacuse everyone tries hard in here, and do not post there work here to feel any lesser than anyone ells!

and thats why i love this website man, its just great.... to know i can post things here and hot have my head ripped off for it!

I will be starting to rearrange the boards today. Somethings will move, other stuff will vanish - please bear with me.

Hi Scot,

I like what you have done with layout, it looks less cluttered.

Thanks for the hard work.
(humm,were is that thumbs up buton now?....nevermind, sorry ;D)

Gert-Jan

I think it just drops into place, obvious where things are and quicker to find 8)

Latest posts

Back