FORUM LAYOUT

Should the layout of the forum be changed/simplified?

• Total voters

Junkie

I am taking a serious look at the forum layout and I would like to know what you think about it.

Not that its going to make a big difference ....

Some of the (Threads/Treads) Have sub-divisions... and peoples keep posting
their stuff under the main header !!! i.e. Those headers with WiP and completed sections, are fine.... but if its not a Work in Progress or a Completed Project.... what is it ? and was it the reason for leaving members post new threads... outside those sub divisions...? if so ? disregard my observation...

I am sure the intent was Well Directed !!! but it makes it difficult to see new posts at times...

It's not a complain just an observation !!! You were more than one touching this... so we can't blame you for it all ! LOL

Maybe you should let it Ride !!! Peoples are coming... you have 108 pages of Members.... very impressive !

Good luck and take care !

although some things could be easier, i think its a well placed website XD, i mean i have been on worse sites trust me.

There are some organization niggles from what I've seen.
I'm thinking that the biggest thing would be the removal of separate "WIP" sections and integrating them into their topics.
It gets confusing to follow once a build is finished and the "Finished" topic gets posted.

I would also pull the "Figures" out as its own category to make it easier to find.

Just my two credits worth for now

I'll be honest , I like simplicity and most of the hobby forums I visit have a very clean layout .
I'm new here so I'm still "learning" the massive amount of stuff going on the forum pages !!

..there is just WAY too much going on in the forum page(s).it's self to me

the top of the forum consists of >>12"<<(on my moniter) mainbanners , your head, The big title thingy , adds/sponsers, membership box,news, tiny subtopic..things,,,you have 2 search engines.?.and more !
?
than you have the forum tools.. than finally ..>>"the discussion forum"<<(what I clicked on "forum " button for to begin with!)

than all the various forums(thats cool)

than annother 4" of links that are a repeat of everything that's under the banner up top but before all the crazy forum extras that are,, before the actual forum..its self

take a look at this forum.it works ..is very busy.. and super easy to deal with.it's where I'm coming from
I think it may be over simple.but something to gage a bit by ?

http://www.rocketryforum.com/

I like the overall scheme here..it's hip and rockin,,but very...very... busy.

I still haven't figured out how to post a youtube link,,even tho I searched all over this forum on how to..

..sorry ..you asked for it ..lol

Guess what I want to say is .. you have a website (scale model addict) with all the stuff anyone would expect.

but WAY too much spills into the discussion forum..>>>>> it's... a ....discussion.... forum <<<<<
just part of the website...it shouldn't be like the yahoo front page !with every tool and link,sponser, and ad, known to modern man..I'm feeling guilty for not buying a xuron cutter or whatever

actually I use Badger airbrushes ..I have 3( since thayor@chandler is owned by badger)

I use a xuron cutter.

I've been checking out elm city hobbies,great selection !, but I'm not sure what shipping will do to me being in the states?

have no room for an artograph booth right now

and was looking at modelmakerz pigments last night,,I'm getting some pigments for sure.

just don't ban me ..ok ?

Even though I am old (50) that my children are quick to point out, and I shouldn't be up on all of this technology stuff, I have a great time with this site and have learned tons. I have also been watching all of the videos on YouTube on Apple TV, never can get enough information.

Keep it up!

paperbender1960 said:
Even though I am old (50) that my children are quick to point out, and I shouldn't be up on all of this technology stuff, I have a great time with this site and have learned tons. I have also been watching all of the videos on YouTube on Apple TV, never can get enough information.

Keep it up!

XD i would click a support button if there was one XD

I've been checking out elm city hobbies,great selection !, but I'm not sure what shipping will do to me being in the states?

Shipping isn't too bad, as long as you don't want it fast.

Under 1kg (2.2lbs for the metrically challenged) it is generally in the $12 range for shipping via Surface (less if the weight is less than that again). Air is a little more expensive. Once you get over the 1kg weight, it then falls into Expedited, which can end up being pricey, but, depending on what you are buying (ie: multiple large kits) it can end up being cheaper or at least the same as a parcel under 1kg.

Actually sometimes cheaper to ship to the US, then it is to other places in Canada, which is completely messed up.

Scott this is just a suggestion;

Can you add a filter, or some how catagortize / group "new unread" posts. Given the volume of posts lately, it might be nice just as a way to work through the content. Right now they all kind of mash together...

I have not been able to spot the key for posting new topics 425$ in bi-focals just don't seem to cut it...

JMac- at the top of the forum by your avatar there are 2 links in orange:
Show unread posts since last visit & Show new replies to your posts.

See attachment 1

Bill: see attachement 2.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I think a huge improvement would be :
put your ads and banners on a side bar(s)
too much wasted space on the side bars and everything crammed in the top/ middle.
and get rid of that >second< search button

this forum has great content,, but the layout is split up and cluttered

and no offence your not ugly but do we have to look at your mug on...... every.... single..... page ?

@Scott -yep, I use both of those links already. What I meant was a situation where say I wanted to see only the new unread posts in the aircraft wip section (as an example). I find I pick through the unread list, often scanning to find posts of interest first, reading them, and then time permitting, I look at the others. I just thought it would be helpful to have new posts kind of organized / grouped.

@rocketsilo - all of this will be addressed in the next version. Good points you make.

Do want to point out one thing though. The site is designed to fit 1024x768. At that resolution there are no 'black' sidebars as seen on larger resolutions. Actually you don't really even see the orange flames running vertically at that resolution.

I know of other sites that place ads EVERYWHERE, ads, ads, ads, ads. I don't want to do that and the decision was to have them in one spot only, and when scrolled down to content they are not in your face all the time.

Jmac - ah - I see what you mean. With the current software I can't do that however - the next version might be able to. I know DK and I have been talking about alot of features that a specifically meant to make seeing the content you want to see much easier.

ahhh ! that explains why it looks "odd" to me ,,I see better now why you have the layout in this manner ..

please excuse my ranting this past few days ,,it's been a long week ,,and I do get crabby.
your doing a great job ,,and this forum has some amazing talent , I have learned so much here

and that's what really matters.

Latest posts

Back