First with the Ford Class Carrier model ?

Look at that super structure it's tiny.. that thing is mostly flight deck it's funny how we go one way and then start to revert back to the old ways. This is a new ship I like the look of how ever some of the others like the litoral combat ships I'm not a huge fan especially the zumbalt that thing is just a waste of money on a useless ship..
That fast transport ship really doesn't have much of a use either but it's still kinda cool.
Really makes me wish I was still in ship life is an experience like no other

Ever see a ship lose an anchor? Or see the wildcat fail while hauling an anchor chain up? Ft Or those of you that haven't imagine this .. the anchor on the end of the chain is not what holds a ship in place how ever it's the weight of the total amount of chain let out. Each one of those links weighs 100 + pounds and lengths of 100s of ft move into the tons this change gets let over the side in a controlled manner using winches with drum breaks like your car except much much larger scale.. these friction breaks are ment to slow the speed that the chain is let out to a controllable speed in that the friction breaks can stop the release with out being over competed with by the weight of the chain. On occasion the speed at which the chain is released is more then the created friction can resist an thus the breaks lose control, when this happens the crew manning the forecastle attempt to apply more and more friction to hopefully over come the speed of the release and stop the chain. If that fails the chain is painted white yellow and red called shots, these shots help identify how much chain is left because the very end of the chain is not attached to anything.. the saying goes see red your dead because by the time you see red the end of the chain will come whipping out of the locker at a high rate of speed thrashing thousands of pounds is steal about.

" Look at that super structure it's tiny.. that thing is mostly flight deck "
All aircraft carriers are mostly flight deck . Kinda the point :p

It's the Zumwalt , named for Admiral Elmo Zumwalt .
Not the " zumbalt "
I guess we'll have to wait and see how worthless she is .

" I'm wondering if it's just because of testing that the crew looks bare bones, because every carrier I've ever seen or visited was a rainbow of flight deck crew running everywhere "
Yes , it's just ships company and not full flight ops with ordnance .
You visited a Nimitz Class at sea ?

Speaking of anchor chains , we dragged ours several hundred yards before pulling it up and going to sea due to a massive storm moving out into the Med . We were anchored off Marseille , France .
First and only time that ship looked small to the sea state .
I woke up to the propellers cavitating ( our berthing was way aft , just above the screws ) .
" wait -- uhhh , how the F are the props cavitating if we're at anchor ?? " --- then the banging on my rack to be told to go light-off 2 plant ,, with skeleton crew .

" That fast transport ship really doesn't have much of a use either "
LOL . What ?

Last edited:
" Look at that super structure it's tiny.. that thing is mostly flight deck "
All aircraft carriers are mostly flight deck . Kinda the point :p

It's the Zumwalt , named for Admiral Elmo Zumwalt .
Not the " zumbalt "
I guess we'll have to wait and see how worthless she is .

" I'm wondering if it's just because of testing that the crew looks bare bones, because every carrier I've ever seen or visited was a rainbow of flight deck crew running everywhere "
Yes , it's just ships company and not full flight ops with ordnance .
You visited a Nimitz Class at sea ?

Speaking of anchor chains , we dragged ours several hundred yards before pulling it up and going to sea due to a massive storm moving out into the Med . We were anchored off Marseille , France .
First and only time that ship looked small to the wave state .
I woke up to the propellers cavitating ( our berthing was way aft , just above the screws ) .
" wait -- uhhh , how the F are the props cavitating if we're at anchor ?? " --- then the banging on my rack to be told to go light-off 2 plant ,, with skeleton crew .

" That fast transport ship really doesn't have much of a use either "
LOL . What ?
I'm assume your baby career end much before mine started though that's just an assumption which we know what assumptions make out of us lol.

The zumwalt to zumbalt was a typo my phone loves zumbalt more I guess.. idk but the ship I got to personally see and at the time it was big gossip in the navy the problem is what the navy wanted in warship and what they got were too different things, starting with fire power the zumwalt was en experimental concept in hopes to replace the arliegh burke (excuse my spelling I not a nuke) destroyers and also bridge the gap with the guided missile cruiser.
What they got was a ship that failed to meet both and for twice the cost.. then came the limited mission capabilities based on it's weapon limitations another blow. Currently there are alot of cool things the navy learned from the zumwalt class and alot they wished they didn't now I may have been harsh in calling it a waste but from the scuttle butt that ship hasn't found its place in the front lines and will probably go threw a few refittings before they either come up with a ship that meets the needs or decide to take what they learned and build something else.

As for the fast transport... Another ship that's cool in concept but again a ship still searching for it's primary role, right now they are a transport... Perhaps the navys equivalent of a fast ferry but one of their limitations is their handling in the open ocean miles away from shore which was reportedly like riding a washer machine on the tilt awhirl (direct quote from a LT I served under) so this ship needs a home island hopping where I think it would be a good fit.

Idk maybe I'm wrong and these ships are just different then what I picture of warship, maybe the navys taking a new path an I'm old school but when I think warship I think arliegh burke destroyer, frigates (which sadly are all gone) or Ticonderoga class cruisers. I would be happy to see a new ship class or even a upgraded ship class but these just have yet to prove there worth.

As for the carrier comment yes carriers are flight decks idk maybe it's just the picture but that super structure just seem alot smaller then it's predecessors. I did have an opportunity to visit a carrier at sea and land on It backwards during some ship to ship medevac granted I didn't stay long but that place was busy busy.

Will you at least capitalize the name of your own ship ?
Along with all the proper grays , shipmate .
I will admit Grammer is not my strong suite but I will try to do a better job of it for you shipmate cause you advice is helping me not become a shipwreck

I will admit Grammer is not my strong suite but I will try to do a better job of it for you shipmate cause you advice is helping me not become a shipwreck
So my local hobby shop is mocking me.. the other day I took a trip out to my local brick front hobby shop it's roughly 40 mins away give or take with traffic. This isn't horrible it's just the route to get there from my location isn't exactly a pleasent drive. Anyways while I was there I asked one of the employees about the USS Kearsarge kit seeing how they had a slightly above average selection of paint and model kits with a few higher end ship kits ranging in size from waterline to 1/350, I figured there would be a chance they could source my kit. The employee found my kit and said they could order it and the cost would be 68 dollars. Now I'm the kinda guy who will spend my money on something more easily but only if it's right there right then so I get that instant satisfaction if taking the item home with me, unfortunately 68 dollars was about 30 dollars higher then what I've found online and I'd be paying up front and waiting for delivery with the issue of having to take a trip back to pick it up to boot. So I choose to pass on this and said I would think on it, that night I decided If I was gonna wait I'll buy the kit for 43 bucks online and have it shipped to my house.

So what's the issue? Well the damn seller is in china which I'm sure is a nice country but anything I've ever ordered from there is a mystery on arrival time and at one point my delivery date was October! What am I gonna do with my self till then?? So I wrote the seller asking them to give me an idea of when this kit would actually be at my door so if needed I could cancel before they ship it but no response.. trying to keep cool I figured I'd prep my supplies and get my kit in order for the arrival of the box.

I took a trip out to the hobby shop for acrylic paint taking your advice to make the switch an boom right on the shelf in front of me not 2 days from the first visit was the USS Kearsarge kit .... Wtf is it a sign

For 68 bucks ?
Scale Hobbyist never disappoints : https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag...hd-3/HBB00083404/product.php?kw=uss,kearsarge

You said you order off Ebay ?
I don't think I've ever ordered anything off Ebay --- millions from Amazon :D

If you want a good price on a kit but aren't in a hurry ,
Hobby Easy and Lucky Model are great sources . They'll ship quick for more coin but they'll send it via " the slow boat from China " for a fraction of what you'll pay for the kit from a domestic vendor .
https://www.hobbyeasy.com/https://www.luckymodel.com/
Or they did . I haven't ordered anything from them in a long while .
I noticed prices going up on kits @ Scale Hobbyist . - ICM kits especially for some reason .

interesting doco ... after watching a few of these types of documentaries, i get the impression that the allies were very lucky in the south pacific ... more to do with japanese mistakes rather than their good work

Latest posts

Back