First attempt at 1701-C

Tobes2us

Making an attempt at my first NCC-1701-C. Getting back into modeling has offered its challenges already. Looking at other works here I am humbled to say the least. All of my painting has been by hand since I didn't have an airbrush when I started this kit. I am learning so much just by reading other posts here on the forums but I wanted to at least show my progress on what I've started thus far. This project is an attempt at learning new techniques that everyone posts here and I've already adapted many of them to this project. I started this before joining SMA and I wish I would have waited! Anyway, heres a few pictures of the WIP. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks guys.

Saucer section with initial coat (acryl) and gloss prep for decals. Working on Sol/Set still in this pic:
917.jpg

Underside of saucer section, same as top. (obvious signs of touch up required)
920.jpg

Secondary hull and deflector assembly:
923.jpg

Warp nacelles and secondary hull (seams are needing filled, wish I had known how to do that before lol):
2012-04-01111858.jpg

So that's what I have so far. Really wanting to detail it much more now that I think I can finesse some paint a bit better. I won't be lighting this kit but I also want to finish it before entering the contest on my next build. Cheers guys!

Tobes

Handpainting can be tough- but air brushes can be hinkey, I think your work looks great! Welcome back.

Looks fantastic! I'm gonna tackle one of these before I do any starfleet ships. I really like this design.

Thanks so much guys! It's definitely a work of patience. Everytime I review any work on it I can find something needing fixed. So I'm calling this my test subject lol. Anyway, onward and upward!

She looks good, and I am with Igard,
I really like this design.
A nice bridge between the 1701-B and D

Good paint job! I started out painting by hand as well.

I love the C, I think it is the best Next Gen design.

I actually prefer the look of the C better than the D with it's outsized saucer and stubby engines. Nice work on this so far especially considering you're using a brush. Looking forward to more updates.

Well after struggling through the decal process for a few days and dealing with frustration on that front, I got a final assembly done. It didn't turn out that bad for my 2nd build after getting back to the hobby. I really enjoyed this one though. I have a couple pics to share, just need to finish some final touch ups, maybe window detailing (undecided since I want to get to my next build) and a shot of clear to finish it up. I'd do this one again definitely with A LOT more focus on everything before paint and assembly. But, a learning lesson to say the least.

Final assembly (overhead):
2012-04-04004933.jpg

Starboard view:
2012-04-04004828.jpg

Aft: (Nav lights on nacelles will be done, forgot to tag those)
2012-04-04004809.jpg

Underside:
2012-04-04004745.jpg

So, I'll tinker with it a bit more but onto the next project. I can't wait to get into airbrushing more now. Hand painting was a task lol.

Good work. Looks a really nice clean build. I'd not worry about windows either. If the next build is calling you, go to it. :)

Latest posts

Back