Finnish (WWII) AFV crew...

Hi Jelly!

Your guys are getting very nice. Your painting is very clean which is a good thing, I always have to clean up my mess with every layer of paint. But you are right, for a guy working on a plane he really looks like he's just fallen out of the dry cleaner's ... I really only started dirtying my figures down so mine may not be the best advice, but I will give it anyhow... many techniques working in scale modelling work in figure modelling as well. It is a shame really that so few people ever look over the edge of their own plate ( to translate a german phrase quite crudely). So you already know how to make something oily and greasy, I don't by the way... need to learn that for my planes, may be try it on the figure as well but tone it down some, since the fabric will have absorbed much it will be lighter and not shiny, maybe add some dullcoat... just my two cents.

To your questions concerning washes. Well, you can just thin down your paint very heavily and apply it very generously over the area you want to wash or just to the recesses very carefully. There are also ready made washes, like from Games Workshop or Vallejo (their Game Colour line). Those work fine. They work better than just acrylic paint thinned with water, because they have other paint additves in them like flow improver and acrylic medium. You can use washes to tone down colours, to add depth to recesses and contrast to the colour. You can also use them as filters and to bring different tones together when blending... so washes are your friends ;) But always keep in mind the bigger the figure gets, the more carefull you need to be, not to add too much contrast, because it will easily look to "comic" then. Small figures like 28mm need a lot of contrast 54 mm (1/32, 1/35 ???) a lot less.

One of my fav videos is from AwesomePaintjob showing how he makes his washes:
How to make Washes Les' Recipe

Happy painting, Sarah.

Thanks for sharing Elastirion.
By any chance you know where can you get empty bottles like the ones from video?
Regards
Lukasz

Hi!
Regarding the bottles... my link to a german shop for laboratory supplies would not really help you... ;D
Both Vallejo and Reaper sell empty bottles, but those are quite pricy.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Accessories/latest/08702

I found something on US eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-oz-LDPE-Squeezable-Plastic-Dropper-Bottles-50-/110687375067?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c57b4edb

should look for supplies for laboratories and such alike.

Oh... I'm stupid... In the video desription was a link to a thread on DakkaDakka, where Lester wrote down all his recepies and all the supplies used with links how to get them
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/261541.page

I really hope, Scott doesn't mind links to other forums... some admins I knew where a little touchy about that.

Happy Painting, Sarah.

PS: Lukasz, you're from Poland?

http://www.rotert.com/epages/Rotert.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Rotert/Categories/Kunststoffbehaelter/PE-Flaschen-versch-Verschluesse/PE_Flaschen_mit_Tropfverschluss

Elastirion said:
I really hope, Scott doesn't mind links to other forums... some admins I knew where a little touchy about that.

Nah, model related links are not a problem at all, even if it's a forum. There is a lot of stuff out there and not everyone may know of it until another persons links to it.

Unless of course someone just repeatedly spams their forum/product and nothing else, but you've don't nothing of the sort. ;)

Tony lee said:
OK Jellyman about time for you to reappear,where you be?????

Tony lee :)
:) Howdy, Tony, my friend, I´m around, but I´ve been busy, I´ve had very lil´time.
I´ll post soon. ;)
I´ve dirtied the guys a lot, following the mate´s advices (Sarah, sweetheart, thanks A LOT for showing and sharing all your knowledge, and your time !!! :D).

I´ve not taken the pics yet, but my guys have taken a lot of dirt, with black and brown washes. I´ve just recall how greasy and oily (black dirty oil) were my blue overall, hands and face after 06 hours of watch/work when I went into my first assignment (auxiliaries engines room) on board this ship:

Alerta+A-111+06.jpg

See you soon, mates :)
RG

:) Howdy again, mates . - and Sarah (Sarah, I believe you´re the only girl around, so we must take care of you !!! :D)
´
;) One´s Own Word is a holy promise, so here are a few freshly taken pics.
´
Well, those pics are disappointing to me :p , but what can I do !! the mix of a bad photographer (me), plus a regular-bad camera (mine), and absolutely improper lightning add very few (to be “optimistic”) to the results :p.
´
I must say that if you look at the figures “in the real life” they look a lot better than in the pics. I´m tired to say: to the average / low profile modeller (like me), close up shots are morale killer. :p
´
In one of the pics, the guy with the crossed arms looks cross-eyed ! NOOOO! He´s not cross-eyed! :mad:
´
The dirt in the overalls can´t be well appreciated, but there´s enough dirt, take that for sure. :mad:
´
As I´ve told you some hours ago, the exposed skin of the figures (hands and face) is blackened, due to the mix: dirt + grease + oil + fumes. Well, mine (exposed skin) was really nasty and dirt after each watch round (twice a day) in the Auxiliary Engines Room: these engines were really crap: there were four engines and they were just coffee machines. I also suppose that in an ol´ 1940´s Soviet-made banger, the cleanliness would not be A+.
´
There goes that lil´ salvo of pics. At this stage, there´s ´very few I can do…
´
P1010726.jpg
´
P1010727.jpg
´
P1010728.jpg
´
P1010729.jpg
´
P1010735.jpg
´
P1010736.jpg
´
P1010737.jpg
´
OH! I forgot the driver of the SPG !!! that guy is imprisoned forever in a plastic cell!
´
Thanks a lot for watching, and thanks again for trying to transmit your knowledge and experience! They´re REALLY highly appreciated.
´
Jokes + jerking are welcome!
Beer too…
And money.
´
Cheers/Salud
RG

Wow Jelly!
Nice work, looks awesome! :eek: Now your guys look like they belong. The third photo really shows the dirt quite well. As to the crosseyed... I think someone mentioned it before, but I guess it is the sculpt of that face that is a little off... ? And taking photos that do your work justice is maybe harder than painting the models in the first place. I guess there must be as many tutorials on mini-photography as there are painting tutorials. ;D

Happy Painting, Sarah!

Roberto,Sarah is right,not a thing wrong with those guys. 8)
Sarah don't need taken care of and from the looks of her spider she needs to take care of us don't you think? ;D

Later buddy
Tony lee :)

jelly tose pics look fine, somtimes when using a big ass flash it will kill the detail so i think they look good :)

I agree with every one else jelly. Those figures look great. Buddy, I have the same problem with cameras and lighting. I can never get them to look like they do to the naked eye.

You my freind, keep up the good work!

the best way is to avoid using flash and use a longer expoure thats what i find gives the best results with taking pics of models

:)Howdy Gents & Milady Sarah,
Windy, rainy, and dark grey here. Definitely today I´m not goin to chop wood out home :p

You´re the real examiners so if you say my work is OK, then the figs are OK. :)

Definitely if you pick the SPG with the figs, put in on the table, with a "reasonable" amount of light, I like the results. I think I´ve either learnt / increase my habilities.

Sarah, I´m goin´to pick together all your tutorials; also in a few minutes I´m going over your super-spider.

Tony, thanks again for evaluation Old Man, if you say the´re OK, THEN they´re Ok, you´re not a easy examiner, that´s great :) Yeah, I´m fully aware that better maybe Sarah should take care about us (oh, poor Sarah ! ;D here is a bunch of well grown "nerds" -some of us are just a few more dozens of years over the 10 years old tender age - ;D ), but Tony, I´m a Spaniard "Caballeroso" Ol´Style Brought Up you know ;D ... I simply can´t stand away from that ;D

Quaralane, thanks again my friend, your comments are always motivating, always welcome; you always have a kind word for everyone, that´s much appreciated! :)

Spud, dear, glad to see you, mate, WHERE have you been? Partying in La Havana? Or you got also abduced and took a first person taste of "The Alien Probe" ? ? ? ;D ;D ;D Thanks for the coments, "Spuddy Gonzales" ;D ;)

Howdy Big-J !!! :D Well, again! Thanks for the support! ´Take for sure I´m going over the German Radio Team, I´ve been playing with a camo net over a Ford GPA an with a Shermans tracks...

Thanks a lot again, mates, :)
RG

Jelly my man ;D Dont be so hard on yourself ,those figs look darn tootin !!!...excellent work my friend ,they look right at home too with just the right amount of dirt an grease ;) ...Super !.

Chris.

Latest posts

Back