Fine Molds 1/72 TIE/x1 Advanced

Since I am between commissions right now, I managed to get some work done to some personal projects. After completing the TIE/Ln fighter, I wanted to tackle something a little more complicated (in terms of painting at least). For Darth Vader's personal starfighter, I decided that a "factory fresh" paint job was inadequate for the Dark Lord considering that his fighter has surely seen plenty of action against the Rebellion. For this model, I primed everything in white and gave it a base color of Tamiya Sky Grey and Flat White mixed at a 1:1 ratio. I then used Vallejo Masking Fluid to apply chips along corners and panel edges and gave the model a preshading of VMA Black followed by a coat of Tamiya Sky Grey. After I removed the liquid mask I sealed everything with a couple of coats of Future and gave it a wash with 502 Abteilung Starship Filth. After I cleaned up the excess, I began to discolor individual panels using 502 Abteilung Faded Grey, Faded UN White, and Faded Navy Blue followed by a couple of coats of matte varnish. The black wing panel interiors were masked and painted with a 6:1 mix of VMA Black and VMA Arctic Blue metallic to give them a metallic sheen. The kit calls for the hull to be painted Air Superiority Blue, but the craft never appeared bluish to me when watching the films so I went with the Sky Grey like a standard TIE from A New Hope. Comments and criticism are always welcome!

vader.png
vader2.png
vader3.png
vader4.png

Thanks guys!

I was a little concerned the chipping was overdone, but after looking at the model i think it turned out alright. I had never done fluid mask chipping before so I didn't know what to expect, but in the end I was rather pleased with it.

I'm working on a 1/72 X-wing right now and I am just falling in love with these kits. So far these TIE fighter models have been pretty laid back with this one taking a little more time and effort because of the masking and the weathering I decided to add; I know the X-wing will really push my abilities.

Latest posts

Back