Finally getting the new workshop together

You must be a lover of dusting with everything being black. I have a black shelf unit that will disappear or get repainted. Dust central LOL. I know it's there but the harder it is to see the better I feel.
No. I just like stuff being black. I never used to be a clean freak but since I moved into this new apartment I've become one. But yeah, I just like my stuff being black. Guess that is my GF's goth/emo sensibilities rubbing off a bit.

A lot of us use those adjustable desk lamps, but if you're stuck for space, I recommend this LED desk lamp:

https://the-gadgeteer.com/2014/08/13/taotronics-elune-dimmable-led-desk-lamp-review/
That was just a convenient link to show the lamp, but you can find it from many different vendors, online and at brick-and-mortar stores. I got mine for around $28 off Amazon.

I bought one to keep in my traveling tool kit, because it breaks down into a very small package, but I'm using it now as I paint at the kitchen table. It has three brightness settings, and can be focused very easily.

I wound up buying myself a second one for my desk at work; I shared an office with two other guys who always wanted the ceiling light off, and I needed more ambient light around my monitor.
Nice tip! Thanks! Might get one for my girl if she should need to use the table to paint her minis.

Hey all! Been takin a break from the models to begin to finalize the new workspace.

So in short, the new apartment has a half spare room that is intended for either a pantry or a small guest room. I of course saw a model shop. My GF is a cosplayer, and the bedroom is big enough for her to set up her cosplay making stuff there with plenty of space once she moves in this fall.

Anyhow, I'd gotten a desk from Goodwill that I was using as a nightstand with the intention of it going in the workroom as a starter bench. Which I did.View attachment 12078

But when I bought the PL 1/350 TOS E I knew I'd need a bigger bench(I'd planned to wait till fall or winter to really start setting things up), and so said heck with it. So as of this morning I have this:View attachment 12346

View attachment 12518
I will be gettin a moto toolwith flex shaft and stand, a shelf for the stash that will go in directly behind the main bench, where the black desk used to be, and a few more bits and bobs. But I am thrilled with it so far. And unlike my old apartment, where the bench and gear dominated my living room, I can just shut the door when not building and its nicely out of the way.
I currently have a “mobile” setup. So I appreciate the inspiration

I decided on a toolbox for my new workstation.
I've been relegated to the garage.
I only get a few hours a week out there.
Las Vegas Summer heat makes the garage slightly unbearable :)
Also need to make more room in the garage so I can flip up the extra fold-down tabletop:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Workstation.jpg
    Workstation.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Workstation1.jpg
    Workstation1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Workstation2.jpg
    Workstation2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 2
I decided on a toolbox for my new workstation.
I've been relegated to the garage.
I only get a few hours a week out there.
Las Vegas Summer heat makes the garage slightly unbearable :)
Also need to make more room in the garage so I can flip up the extra fold-down tabletop:rolleyes:
I wanted something like that, but wall mounted. Unfotunately the apartment complex wouldn't allow it.

So got the moto tool and extra paint bottle rack today, got the moto tool set up, and the rack together and attached to the other. The photos don't show it but the 2nd rack is now painted black as per my desire to have as much black in the shop room as possible:D(My GF is convinced that if the managers of the apartment complex allowed tenants to repaint walls I'd paint the walls black... and she may just be right;) )View attachment 16262
View attachment 16263

And due to the way the bottle racks are I had to put everything on the main bench pretty much back the way I originally had them.:p
You do have a good setup
Everything at your fingertips by the looks

Also not crazy about the moto tool holder. In the wide shot its clamped to the black desk. It extends, but the extensions don't stay put well, and it caused me to almost drop the tool cos I bumped it and the holder retracted, causing the tool to fall off it. I caught it, but wasn't happy.

My old setup at the old apartment had the moto tool clamped firmly to the side of my handtool/spray paint cabinet. I may end up doing something similar down the road.
Clamp it to the new desk. Also, maybe look for a better clamp stand. Not sure if you're left or right handed, I'm guessing left though.

Clamp it to the new desk. Also, maybe look for a better clamp stand. Not sure if you're left or right handed, I'm guessing left though.
The main bench doesn't have anything sturdy enough sitting on it to do that. Right now I have the tool's stand clamped to the bench. But I think your 2nd suggestion is the way to go myself, as the reason the stand is crap is the telescoping feature. If it were just a long rod it'd be fine. Mirco Mark has a non telescoping stand, so once I get some other household money things squared away I may invest in one of those.

The main bench doesn't have anything sturdy enough sitting on it to do that. Right now I have the tool's stand clamped to the bench. But I think your 2nd suggestion is the way to go myself, as the reason the stand is crap is the telescoping feature. If it were just a long rod it'd be fine. Mirco Mark has a non telescoping stand, so once I get some other household money things squared away I may invest in one of those.
If you have some green stuff, or other 2 part epoxy you could use that on the telescope joints, and it'll keep them sturdy... If you want to save a couple bucks, and a little bit of time, or to test to see if that actually makes a difference first before buying anything else.

But there's no way of attaching the stand to the desk top itself, like on a side overhang?

If you have some green stuff, or other 2 part epoxy you could use that on the telescope joints, and it'll keep them sturdy... If you want to save a couple bucks, and a little bit of time, or to test to see if that actually makes a difference first before buying anything else.

But there's no way of attaching the stand to the desk top itself, like on a side overhang?
Maybe that could work. My GF suggested smooshing epoxy or super glue down into the locking parts, thinking if it didn't bond the sections together it might at least make them tighter and sturdier. Just been too busy to really look into it as of now.

No overhangs. The main bench is a 1 in. Thick particle board top bolted to a metal frame base. 20210808_115545.jpg

I have the moto tool and stand clamped between my tool cabinet and my desk lamp.

What I did on my old set up was to get two U shaped bolts with threaded ends, one sized for the main body and the second for the hamdgrip, drill holes into my paint/excess tool cabinet's side, and the just bolted the thing right onto the cabinet. It worked really well apart from having to figure out how to keep the cord in check, as the old moto tool had a long cord I had to snake all over so it didn't get in the way.

Last edited:
So Amazon has one that instead of just clicking the telescoping sections in place as you extend them, you actually use a setscrew to secure them when extended. I like that. Alot. 50 bucks, but I don't need it THAT badly THAT quickly. I likely won't be working the moto tool that much for now, so I can see if the epoxy putty or something else can hold this one together for now.

Maybe that could work. My GF suggested smooshing epoxy or super glue down into the locking parts, thinking if it didn't bond the sections together it might at least make them tighter and sturdier. Just been too busy to really look into it as of now.

No overhangs. The main bench is a 1 in. Thick particle board top bolted to a metal frame base. View attachment 87076

I have the moto tool and stand clamped between my tool cabinet and my desk lamp.

What I did on my old set up was to get two U shaped bolts with threaded ends, one sized for the main body and the second for the hamdgrip, drill holes into my paint/excess tool cabinet's side, and the just bolted the thing right onto the cabinet. It worked really well apart from having to figure out how to keep the cord in check, as the old moto tool had a long cord I had to snake all over so it didn't get in the way.
Lol, my guy, you do have overhang on your desk, it's what your moto tool stand is affixed to in this picture.

In your previous picture the moto was still attached to the unit behind your new desk.

No problems though. Haha, I'm glad we're now in the same page now.

Good luck on the epoxy!

Latest posts

Back