[FIN] Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk. 1 and Pegasus Spitfire Mk. 1

Re: Battle of Britain - Air Superiority: Nerd Herd Group Build

ARGH! mutter, mutter... :mad:

I just broke and repaired the antenna mast on the Pegasus Spitfire for third time...Damn gorilla thumbs.

TWEEZERSSSSS!!!!! :)

Here, have some tweezer inspirational usage from weezer!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHQqqM5sr7g[/youtube]

D.K. - Thanks for that - Weezer is great.
The funny thing is I used tweezers to put the parts on, but just in handling my gorilla mitts would cause all manner of havoc, so then I would have to tweezer the part on again - Then I dropped the model...

Very frustrating day yesterday. Clumsy. I didd push forward however and made some progress. Everthing is primed and I should start some painting today.

Oh man, I KNOW that problems and get those days where everything you pick up seems to just wanna take a drop on the floor. lol At that point, I just go do something else. ;)

Had a bit of a break helping my sons finish their Kub Kar and Scout Semi-Truck projects last week, but now I'm back to the grind stone...I'm SO glad we extended the deadline. :)

I'm masking and painting. Got the first two colours done (Sky bottoms and the Brown-ish tops). The masking is slow going :p (three planes - what was I thinking). I don't trust my airbrush skills to free hand the camo patterns. After that is done I'm planning to look at the vac. formed canopies, and the semi started landing gear.

Pictures maybe to night, but more likely next week.

Awesome guys!

Haha! I'm glad we extended the deadline too. For some reason, 1/48 or more seems to take longer to do for me. It's also not like you're gonna get shot if you don't finish by the deadline anyways lol

I've done the panel lines already on my and coated a gloss over it. Waiting for it to dry and put on the small parts and weather it. Airfix Decals are horrid though. I dunno what it is or if the model is just been sitting on the shelf too long. Good note to just go aftermarket with decals on airfix for me from now on.

Which reminds me, I need to go spray up the propeller. lol

Chung

Hey Scott,

I can send you a scan of the Spitfire painting scheme (1940 "b" scheme) from the Tamiya kit if you need it...

Here's a photo of my progress. The bottom of the two Spitfires and the Hurricane have been painted "sky" and the upper surface the earth brown colour. Just about done masking the first Spitfire (Pegasus Hobbies kit).

Sadly my 262 has been sitting basically untouched for some time now.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hey guys,

Making some progress, the two spitfires and the hurricane masked.

And after painting ;D

Maybe I'll get a chance to do some gloss coats tomorrow.

JMac

Haha, got your own squadron going there. :) Camo looks great!

Nice start Mac. :)
D.K. Thanks for the canopy tips. I’ll be starting on that soon.

Here's my Tamiya MK1 Spitfire, and the Pegasus MK1 Spitfire and Hurricane decaled up. The decals from the Pegasus kits went on super easy, and when I used Microsol on them, they sucked right in to the panel lines. The only problems were;

1. I had a brain dead moment, when on the Pegasus Spitfire I accidentally reversed the right and left fuselage ID decals, and I did not notice until after the solvent had set... oh well.

2. The Pegasus Hurricane decal instructions had a small error in them...

The Tamiya kit decals went well until I did the last two large wing roundal decals. Both wrinkled - even though the white decals underneath laid down completely flat... The wrinkles are not too bad I’m hoping the following gloss and satin/flat coats will hide them.

Otherwise I’ve started on the panel lining. I’m trying a few different experiments to the Pegasus Spitfire kit before I commit to doing anything to the Tamiya kit. The only other thing that has gone really sideways on me is the antenna on the back of the Tamiya kit – I’ve broke it off the kit a number of times...grrrrrr.

Hey guys. I'm back from a fantastic hike of the West Coast Trail, and ready to get plugging away...

The progress on the Spitfires;

and the Hurricane;

Hmmm for some reason I can't see the pics. :(

Well I've had some very productive days...I think I'm done. :)
I've a picture of the Tamiya Spitfire and the Pegasus Spitfire below. I'll put more pictures in the "goal is completion" location.

And the Pegasus Hurricane.

I am so confused. LOL I don't see any pictures for some reason.

Weird, I don't know. They show up when I'm logged in. Can you see the pictures in the completion category?

JMac said:
Weird, I don't know. They show up when I'm logged in. Can you see the pictures in the completion category?

Nope. Did you upload them through the forums photo thing? If so, that might be why, I'll have Scott check my permissions.

I uploaded them using the attachment tool.

Latest posts

Back