[FIN] Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk. 1 and Pegasus Spitfire Mk. 1

JMac

cut. glue. paint. repeat.
The builds are looking really good.

I finally got a start on my, it's not a fabulous start, but it's a start. I'm really surprized to the number of paint colours I needed to buy for this build (easily cost more than the original plastic), and the colours to mix - crazy.

So far wings together, with the cockpit components and pilot primed. Hope to have most of the internal fuselage painting done mid next week...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Re: Battle of Britain - Air Superiority: Nerd Herd Group Build

Woot! Looking good! The Tamiya DEFINATELY has lots more details than my airflix. I think with Airfix, you'd really wanna buy lots of aftermarket stuff for or at least get ready to do a lot of mods to it.

Thanks guys.
DreamKnight said:
Woot! Looking good! The Tamiya DEFINATELY has lots more details than my airflix. I think with Airfix, you'd really wanna buy lots of aftermarket stuff for or at least get ready to do a lot of mods to it.

It's going to be an out of the box build for me even though the after market stuff would be fun. Lots to do with the Tamiya kit, but tight time frame and a blown budget mean she'll be as pretty as I can make her with glue, some PS scraps and paint.

I'm really impressed by the fit of the Tamiya kit so far (this is my first aircraft 1:48 build). I've had a really productive weekend the main cockpit painting is done(ish) and the figure is well underway. I'm hoping to post a picture tonight. I'll start a wash followed by dry brushing (one of my modelling banes) maybe Wednesday. I've never had a good success with dry brushing...

Love to see an update on your builds, I've got momentum now just because I'm trying to catch up. :)

Here's a repost of my Monday update also...

And a picture of my pilot figure as he looked on Monday night.

And here's an update on my Spitfire build. The cockpit painting is almost done (I think). And I'm really happy that the dry brushing worked - first time for me...

Welcome Shark! :)

Jmac, you washed it right?

Chung

Glad to help you out Shark. :)

D.K. - I did wash the insides of the fuselage, but not the control panel. I've got to finish my pilot now so I can close up the fuselage...
I'm starting to think maybe I should leave the pilot out, the cockpit is so cramped that if I put him in no one will be able to see any of the cockpit details - what do you guys think. Maybe I'll post a picture of the test fit...

Well, I know I'm leaving my pilot out because I wanted to really spend time on my cockpit and it'd be kinda couter-productive to work so hard on it to have it be covered up. lol

So that's the same reason why I decided to just keep the pilot on the sprue for use for something else later. lol

I vote to leave the pilot out. My kit didn't even come with one!

D.K. - that looks like it's coming along really nice.

You guys know that if I leave the pilot out, I'll have to cut-out and reposition the side access door.

Yikes... I guess there isn't teleporter invented yet then? (Or even as of yet! LOL) I dunno Jmac... you got some nice details going for you there in the cockpit. It's be a shame to cover it all up. :/

Well guys not much of an update this week (full stall). I did decide to leave the pilot out of the cockpit & I did cut the side door out. I've made some kind of accumulator or tank that sits on the side wall behind the pilots seat. Also started to look at making seat belts and putting in some wiring/tubing lines...

Pictures to follow when I've got more to show. Thinking I might use the pilot figure still some how...

Hope your builds are moving ahead better than mine.

Great update Chung.

Here's where I'm stuck at (lots of work and family pressures mounting)...
I'm hoping to have the wings and fuselage joined tomorrow, along with some of the air scoops for the oil cooler and rad.

DreamKnight said:
Oh man, I cracked my canopy!

Me too! :(
I was talking to my kids, when I dropped and then stepped in it (the small window behind the pilots seat). I'm going to order a vacuum formed one from Squadron also. The one they have in stock is for a MK V, and a different kit manufacturer - But I'm hoping it will be close enough to finish...
Other than this small set-back, it's beginning to look like a plane. I'm hoping to lay some paint on it next week - it's reading week here and I have an entire week off at home.

Very nice Paul. Which set did you use for the seatbelts?

Well I'm waiting for my new canopy to arrive (which could be awhile considering Canadian Customs and Canada Post). So I thought I would bite off a bit little more...
On Thuursday I was in one of my favorite hobby shops, and I saw these two kits. Cheap, $15 each, 1:48 scale, and the Hurricane kit got a fairly warm review from one of the guys at Agapemodels. So I bought them. I mean I spent quite a few loonies on the paints for my Tamiya build, this way I can use it up, right? I've started building all three together in hopes that I can paint them all at the same time. Good thing it's reading week. :)

JMac (Jason)

@ Speedster: That's looking nice! You know, I got a nice seat for my hurricane and when I stuck the cockpit together, you can BARELY see the inside of it. It's so nicely tucked in cockpit. lol Same question as Jmac, what did you use for the seat belts? They look really good.

@ Jmac: I could never pass up on great deals either. ;) So much for "Not sure if you have enough time to finish" Now it looks like you got THREE going on! lol

Hey Guys those belts are Lion roar brand about $5.00 bucks on Evilbay you get a heap of belts for different aircraft & some nice gun sights as well , Everybodys builds seem to be on the move now, thought we might of had a few more takers by now !!! Paul....

Hey guys, my RAF fleet is coming along nicely. A few small hitches, but nothing major. I'm hoping to get som primer on today or tomorrow. The tamiya kit still has a long way to go...

The Pegasus kits are not to bad for snap togethers. I hollowed out the carburator (it was solid plastic) intake on the Spitfire, added an antenna mast, and the pitot. Both the Hurracane and the Spitfire got the gun ports drilled out, I need to try and stretch some sprues to add some gun barrels to the Spitfire (I have no PS rod in that size - and my wife will kill me if I buy anything else for this build).

Trying hard to keep these builds rolling.

Man, you ARE going to have a whole fleet! LOL I saw a BF 110g over at the LHB and was so tempted but it was 1/32 scale and I didn't really wanna muck with that scale unless it's one of those Super Duper Tamiya kit that comes with the factory to build your kit. lol

Latest posts

Back