Filling problematic seams?

Grendels said:
This is exactly why I will not use superglue to fill gaps.

So many people get told to use superglue to fill gaps on some other forums and you can get an unfriendly response for saying otherwise. :-X

Hi -interesting subject ... I also hear others on modeling forums that recommend either Evercoat or the 2 part pro Bondo - albeit more for heavy body surgery but also for seams when needed. Thoughts?

Also - read a good tip about using a flat sanding surface to dress the seam faces before joining. May require the removing of placement pins but if the seam faces are perfectly flat the seam will need considerably less "fixing". I have found this to be true, however ... I'm not always comfortable with removing the placement pins.

Maybe this will help - :)

Daf

Daf57 said:
Hi -interesting subject ... I also hear others on modeling forums that recommend either Evercoat or the 2 part pro Bondo - albeit more for heavy body surgery but also for seams when needed. Thoughts?

Also - read a good tip about using a flat sanding surface to dress the seam faces before joining. May require the removing of placement pins but if the seam faces are perfectly flat the seam will need considerably less "fixing". I have found this to be true, however ... I'm not always comfortable with removing the placement pins.

Maybe this will help - :)

Daf

You remind us of a good point, Daf--good preparation also helps reduce seamage. Along with dry-fit, dry-fit, dry-fit!, cleaning the meeting edges, including sanding them as you describe, is a good idea. Also, that makes me think off another method of avoiding seams, along the lines of Grendel's point about using styrene. That's to use liquid cement and gently squeeze the parts along the seam, say, on a fuselage, and extrude a bead of melted styrene. Hold the parts till that sets, and then you just scrape off the hardened bead. Apologies if that's already been mentioned in the discussion.

Am I the only one here who likes using CA glue to fill seams??? Haha

The way I fill seams is to fill the seam with CA glue and then dust the CA with Baking Soda. It cures instantly, but not so hard that it is difficult to sand. If I sand it right away I almost always get a great seamless connection.

Just my experience...

Latest posts

Back