1/35 figure seam filling

Junkie

What techniques are used to fill the seams on 1/35 figures? I am thinking that using 2 part epoxy putty and smoothing/resculpting the joint is the way to go. Of course I'm talking shoulders, waist, hips etc...

Anything I should know?

Thats pretty much the same sequence I do when I do 1/48 figures, only I use white putty and super glue since it's a smaller scale. Pretty much all the figures I do have separate torsos, legs, shoulders, etc. and the key to resculpting is when the putty (or epoxy putty in your case) is in the 'firm stage', or really just before it completely hardens.

Personally I just fill the seams with Vallejo Putty, seems to be thinner than Squadron, but thicker than Mr. Surfacer.....then if it needs something else, usually go in with Mr. Surfacer 500. But that is just me, and I don't do many figures.

If the figure is styrene, you can use sprue and liquid cement, just like you might on a piece of ordnance. I also use Squadron white, thinned with acetone, and I've also used Miliput, thinned/smoothed over with a moist fingertip. It all depends.

A caution with whatever medium you use, is to make sure that it's not harder than the material of the figure, when it cures/dries. If it is harder than the surrounding material, then if/when you have to sand it smooth, you might remove more of the surrounding material during cleanup. That's true, though, too, when filling seams on other models.

i use vallejo plastic putty it works the best and i going to try out games workshops liquid green stuff wich looks cool aswell

I do 90% of my seam filling with Squadron Green mixed with Testor's Liquid Cement. Use your X-Acto to scoop out a little SG. Dab it with just enough TLC to get it completely wet. Slather that onto your seam. If you're working a big area, you'll find dry patches as you spread it, just dab some more glue on those spots.

I've worked SG to any consistency from peanut butter to taco sauce.

I use Milliput myself ,simply because it can be worked with a wet brush and usually doesnt need sanding if you get it right ,its great for reworking crease and folds too ;)

Chris.

i use tamiya basic putty, put a bit in a cup of some type add a but of nail varnish remover to give it some working life, then just put it on and brush smooth with the nail varnish remover

Another one is Tipp-Ex , its good for very small gaps and seams ;)

Chris.

Latest posts

Back