EUREKA Afrika Braun

Swanningabout

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."
After long being frustrated by a very simple thing, I think I have the answer. Used to like using Modelmaster's Afrika Braun (which I think is supposed to be RAL8020) for my DAK vehicles. But I only use acrylics now, and couldn't find any match for this in the brands available to me. So I tried doing research on this on the net on a number of occasions, and got all sorts of answers, but nothing that quite worked. But I believe it is as simple as this: equal portions of Tamiya's XF59 Desert Yellow and Flat White. I've been comparing some paint swatches experimentally to a little Panzer III I did years ago in the Modelmaster Afrika Braun (enamel) colour and I think the match is pretty close. But I may have to check this in daylight tomorrow to be sure. I don't trust desklight as much.

I'm not entire sure this colour is authentic for DAK, and most of the DAK vehicles I see people building are not this sort of tan colour, but I really like it anyway. If it were in my power, I would buy everyone in the forum here a beer right now.

There is a LOT of controversy about what the "real color and intensity of german WW2 armor paints actually look like especially when you start adding sun fading poor or improper or substitute thinning agents scale effect and weathering. In my opinion there is enough wiggle room that your should not sweat it to much. However there is some great information on the subject in Ospery master class Panzer Modeling by Tony Greenland and for aircraft the best researched information is in Luftwaffe Colours 1935-1945 by Michael Ullmann the latter is based on the documents of and technical support by the original manufactures and RAL it self, The book includes a accurate paint chip card at least for aircraft. Both books are highly recommended. Oh and congratulations, eureka moments in paint mixing are very satisfying.

I like to strike a balance between authenticity and aesthetics. I was reading a debate about Panzer Grey and whether there was any blue in it. Apparently not. But I have seen some smashing looking German tank models in a slightly bluish Panzer Grey. Especially in small scale models, very dark colours seem to make the details and the essence of the tank disappear. Perhaps I can lessen the effects of this by improved dry-brushing, etc. But the next time I do a Panzer Grey tank I will try adding a bit of blue.

Latest posts

Back