ESB Chicken Walker (AT-ST WIP)

Ozzman78

"Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise."
Work on the chicken walker begins. Will be a ESB chicken so closed view ports (w/ latches). Started adding armor, rivets, and other bits to get this old bird up to par.

Will be on a snow base, any tips on modeling snow would be great.

8408128937_1de171d897.jpg

8408129031_d97f1a9976.jpg

-Ozz

Looking good so far! The extra rivet detail really does the trick with this model. I love the prescision alignment of parts in these old MPC kits.

LOL, yeah they put forth the highest level of detail and craftsmanship. ::)

Ha! I'm building the same kit, I think. I think mine's an AMT boxing, a snap-together kit. If I had to do it over, I'd remove all locating pins and glue the pieces along all mating surfaces instead, to reduce the number of gaps that I had to fill and to deal with the lousy fit. The crew compartment looks OK, but the undercarriage still has some visible but hard-to-reach seams.

I'm also planning on doing a snow base, because it's quick. It'll be Celluclay, with some white glue mixed in, and I use baking soda for snow, once I have the contours finished. I brush on a thin layer of white glue, then sprinkle the soda over it with a spoon. The snow base has the added benefit of correcting the bad stance my kit has, the right foot is not quite level with the left, so the walker can't stand on its own.

I had thought about cutting a piece of foam for the core of the base, then applying Celluclay or putty over it, but I don't have any foam handy right now.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Got some time in last night. Started on the view ports and the rail. Thinking of removing the rail, it junks up the profile for me. Eh, not sure.

8411651654_8f0f447e42.jpg

8411651726_76e340b4c1.jpg

-Ozz

that walker looks really good and nice detail work.. If you don't mind me asking how much of this is kit bash and how much is scratch.. I would at some point like to attempt to build one of these and see you have some kits in the back ground for parts.. Is the body styrene?

Thank's

Builder101/Mike

I see yours had the sink mark in the front plate, too.

Nice mods, they're really dressing this kit up!

oh, this is an amt kit,, I guess the extra mile of detail put in this has thrown me off the trail.. Again nice job!

builder101 said:
oh, this is an amt kit,, I guess the extra mile of detail put in this has thrown me off the trail.. Again nice job!

You got it, its the old POS, AMT kit. Side armor is evergreen, pin vice for all the "rivet" detail, nuts and bolts are from a verlinden armor detailing set, other bits are from a 1/35 M113 kit, 1/72 warthog kit, 1/72 cobra, and a 1/35 bradley.

Quick update... This chicken is now weaponized.

Had to rebuild the rocket launcher using a rocket pod from a 1/72 warthog, and added the missing cannon to the weapon cluster on the other side using an old 1/35 M16 barrel.

8414348394_c3a509996e.jpg

8413249707_ec55eec79a.jpg

8413249659_ce6b04f40c.jpg

-Ozz

For snow I hit the dollar store ..white glue, baking power, and a small 4x6 picture frame as the base..,hot glue the model to the picture frame and use the white glue to build a layer..make it dry..repeat a few times and the last layer throw down some baking power..let dry a few hours and see what you got..you may have to add some glue and more powder...hop you like the idea..

Really sounds simple, I will give that snow a shot. Thank you.

Small update...

I finally have primer on the walker.

8741484054_d2a9492549.jpg

8741483988_455ebd1b9f.jpg

-Ozz

Latest posts

Back