ESB Chicken Walker (AT-ST WIP)

Very cool
I built one of these OOB a few years back and you have deffinatley made some great improvements on what was a pretty simple kit.

Check out the snow base I made for my AT-AT:

7leftprofilewithbase.JPG

I used "Soft Flake" snow from Woodland Scenics:

dsc10430843.JPG

It's a really easy product to use. The foundation of the snow is a piece of pink insulation foam that I dented with a hammer to create an uneven surface. Then I applied a layer of white glue and sprinkled the snow on top. Deeper layers of snow can then be built up by applying a coating of snow and fixing it in place with a 50/50 mix of white glue and water. These steps can be repeated as often as you like to get the snow depth you're looking for.

As for the baking soda method, I gave that a couple of tries a few years ago and found that the snow will yellow over time; I think it's because the baking soda absorbs moisture. I suppose sealing the surface with clear coat might solve that problem but I've never tried it.

Your Chicken Walker is looking terrific! Keep up the great work.

Thanks for the tip on the snow. Your snow looks dead on what I would want.

And we're walkin'! We're walkin'!

Nice work, the old Ertl kit always needs some serious TLC to look half-way decent.

Update:

Final build and weathering done over the weekend. Old D and G strings from one of my bass guitars served as cables/hoses for the connection between the head and body. Sludge wash, rust, scratches, blast marks and general grime added.

Now she waits for the snow base.

8758557092_05d55c0b19.jpg

8757433411_59a3398ab6.jpg

8758557718_913f002bd5.jpg

8758557174_b930e1378a.jpg

8758557226_328fd873c6.jpg

8758557230_36fd452509.jpg

8758557316_818be59a3d.jpg

8757433257_8ca62ea3d7.jpg

-Ozz

im a big fan of star wars, and i say job well done. i would like to ask if this is a hand made or resin like kit?

TheDeadRumors said:
im a big fan of star wars, and i say job well done. i would like to ask if this is a hand made or resin like kit?

It is the old AMT snap kit with a handful of small mods to make it look better. Thanks for taking a look.

A beautiful job of super-detailing that old kit. I've got one in progress, and it really is a simple and ill-fitting kit. The fact that folks think it's a resin kit is a testament to the job you did. Well done!

the Baron said:
A beautiful job of super-detailing that old kit. I've got one in progress, and it really is a simple and ill-fitting kit. The fact that folks think it's a resin kit is a testament to the job you did. Well done!

Thanks for the compliment, I am pleased with the way it turned out. Funny what some evergreen, old tank parts, and some time can do for these old Star Wars kits.

Thanks for the compliment, I am pleased with the way it turned out. Funny what some evergreen, old tank parts, and some time can do for these old Star Wars kits.
[/quote]

That's probably because that's how the original Star Wars Modellers did it. :)

Hope to get it on the base soon. On pause for now while I work on my fathers TOS Enterprise.

Latest posts

Back