Ertl AT-AT

Just Mike

Anyone have any tips on doing the AMT/Ertl AT-AT?

I'm looking for tricky spots, what to do, what not to do. How do you get the tonal look of the armor where it's dark ghost gray followed by a light ghost gray. I have an idea of how to do the weathered streaking down the portholes/windows.

Any tips like positioning the legs and dealing with the seam on the ribbed neck would be especially helpful.

Thanks!

--shrugs--
Not really sure anymore. My last build of one of those was twenty years ago

--laughs--
It was just way down my build queue.

Definitely want to work in sub-assemblies as much as possible on this. That I remember.
When I built mine, oh, so long ago, I didn't do a lot with it then.

ModelmanTom did a painting tutorial on an AT-AT. Also, for the streaks, use black or dark brown oil paint. Put a small dot where you want the streak to start. Place your finger on the dot of oil paint and then smear it in the direction you want the streak to run. It takes a bit of practice, but since it is oil paint, if you mess up, just wipe it off and try again. Oils can take days to dry and longer to cure. So you can streak away one day, change you mind the next day, wipe it off and start over.

This is how I did the streaking on my Viper model.

I've been working on 3 AT-ATs for about 4 months off and on now! I've altered the legs, feet, re scribed all the details and the head needs some work too. Also I'm going to re-do the neck because it is a bit thin. BUT I'm wanting these to look really close to the studio models so I'm really going all out.

The best improvements are to shorten the neck a little and GLUE it in place, elongate the guns, scribe the raised detail.

Paint-wise I'm going to grey prime them, pre-shade in blackish-brown and then knock the preshading back 90% by using tamiya (or equivalent) XF-19 sky grey. The sky grey will be mixed with 20% white and a hint of green as recommended by Roboterkampf (he painted the master AT-AT for master replicas).

After that, I'll filter the panels with some soft earth tones to vary the colour, then I'll oil wash (and do the streaks) and depending on how it looks go to work with some tamiya weathering powder. Then I'll add some paint ships and snow clumps and finally airbrush some 'frosting' on the lower sections of the limbs.

THEN... I'll have a beer. :)

Oh yeah - blame this guy for my obsession

http://dorobou.blog.so-net.ne.jp/archive/c2300268913-1

and take a look at his death star he is making.

http://dorobou.blog.so-net.ne.jp/

I swear I would end up on a psychiatric ward if I went into THAT level of detail.

Thanks for the links Chris - I've got the Revell AT-AT on hold until I find some decent detail information to finish building it.

There is a detail resin set in the works for the Revell AT-AT - according to posts over at Starshipmodeler. It's been rumored for a good long while now but looks like the folks behind it are moving along.

There is also a great thread at resin illuminati showing one guys DIY improvements.

Yeah I was talking to Darth Daniel who is working on an upgrade set for the revell; it looks very promising. Someone has scratched a new head as well which should be available on the starship modeller store soon.

Got it today!

Thanks Quaralane!

Making a video of the build now. Keep having to set some sub-assemblies aside to come back to them later in an hour or two. I can tell already there will be some seams and gaps to tackle.

It's going really well so far. These hip joint things are kicking my butt right now. Time to put it up and start fresh tomorrow.

You're welcome, Mike.
Your little girl sounds like a cutie.

Nice fix for that neck seam

And, as a nerd note, the AT-AT was seen briefly walking up to the bunker on Endor in Return of the Jedi

Latest posts

Back