Eduard Hellcat 48 scale

Thanks for kind words all. I screwed up the plane. The guns have to placed in the wings before gluing together, well a better chance to break them. I got it all painted and broke one. Not too bad since it was still attached so I took off all the way and set it aside. I guess while putting on one of the clear coats I broke the other side off and I don't know where it is. I am not sure what to do with it now. I know I won't be taking it to the contest next weekend for sure.

Wayne,

I have some RB Models 50 cal barrels in stock here, fairly cheap, $7 for 2 barrels. How many does the Hellcat have? 4 or 6?

I think I only have one set left, but I do have 2 sets of Master Barrel 50 cals in my personal stash, so I would have 6 barrels total if need be. Doesn't help for Shearwater, but at least would help for CAMS.

Let me know

Hi Scott,
I will think about it and talk to you at Shearwater about it. Thanks for the offer. I am going to need 6 if use them.

WayneBt said:
Hi Scott,
I will think about it and talk to you at Shearwater about it. Thanks for the offer. I am going to need 6 if use them.

No problem....mind you the barrels don't stick out that far from the wing, maybe just some brass tubing would do the trick as well, as most of the barrel looks like it would be lost in the wing. If there isn't much that sticks out that would have any of the perforated jacket showing, the brass tubing would work.

50cal barrel at 1 /48 would have an inside diameter of about 0.265mm. I have some really fine brass tubing here in my stash that i picked up at a show (might have even been CAMS), 2 sizes that "look" right to me,

Outside diameter 0.4mm, inside diameter 0.22mm, this one the size would be almost bang on, but looks kinda small when I compare it to a 50cal barrel.

But I have another that is 0.5mm outside diameter, and 0.33mm inside diameter this looks closer in size to the 50cal barrels. I don't know if the Hellcat had the perforated jackets on the guns or not, and really hard to find a hi-res picture of one to zoom in on and see. Best I could find was:

1501398.jpg

And to me, it doesn't look like it has the jacket on them, however it is a restored plane.

Either way, I would be more than happy to part with a length of tubing, one length would likely do multiple 50cal barrels in 1/48.

The barrels on the Hellcat were perforated. I am thinking of stripping the paint off and starting over again. With the work on the barrels I am probably going to wreck the paint job on the wings anyway and I have some unprotected pastels on the fuselage and blah blah blah.... it would be easier to strip it down and fix the barrels and repaint. I am also thinking of doing a Mustang for CAMS now. A Mustang from Iwo Jima, a VRL fighter.

Looking at photos of Hellcats, it looks as if only the inside pair really stick out much, the middle pair only a little and the inside pair not at all, you could probably get away with only one pair, maybe 2 pair of barrels. If you think you could do it, I would just drill out what is left and try and install a set of barrels, would leave less to clean up, and would just have to paint the barrels. With some liberal black and/or dark grey pastels for powder stains, it would likely cover up many sins. Would be the quickest and easiest way to fix IMO, and would at least be ready for CAMS for sure then.

It's gross when things go sideways...

As a suggestion, I agree with ECH, and looking at the referance picture above - there is what looks like bare aluminum around the gun ports so it should be quick to touch up the area after drilling. Just a thought.

I'm sure it will turn out great either way.

Latest posts

Back