Eduard Hellcat 48 scale

WayneBt

It is that time of year when I start to multi-multi-task. There are 2 contest approaching in my part of the world and I am scrambling to get things done. While I am trying to get the Draken and Vampire done, I decided to start a Hellcat for the CAMS special theme at the end of May.

So here is the start. Very quick build no extra aftermarket added.

All comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Wayne

boxtop.jpg

cockpit1.jpg

cockpit2.jpg

cockpit3.jpg

cockpit4.jpg

Are you building this for the Pacific category at Cams? If you want to do Vraciu's #19 go for iut, I dont mind doing one of the other schemes instead.

Knock it out Wayne. If you want to do Vraciu's #19, I don't mind either! ;)

I have a set of Superscale decals here that I am going to use. There is a picture in the F6F Hellcat in Action book that shows the plane that I am going to do. The squadron is VF-2. Thanks for the offer Charlie, you too Scott.

Honestly I was just messing with you. I wouldn't know a Vraciu's #19 from a Mambo #5. Looking good so far Wayne, I'm sure you'll nail it.

i think i want to get the same kit form Elm City Hobbies! unless thats where you got it, but funds are low... so i cant get it!

looking great so far!

Since this build is going to out of the box with the exception of the decals it is going to be a quick (hopefully) build. I have the cockpit painted and glued. I have the 2 wings together and no pics yet but I also have the fuselage together. The engine is painted. Will have pics later.

As usual all comments are welcome.

cockpit4-1.jpg

cockpit.jpg

cockpit1-1.jpg

Great stuff Wayne. Are you building it straight OOB, no resin?

Yep I am building it OOB no resin, no photo-etch. The only thing not being used from the box is the decals, I have a sheet from Superscale. The plane I am going to be doing is shown in the Squadron in Action boook being shot off a catapult from the hanger deck. It nicely weathered. YEAH!!!

Just realized one important thing, check to make sure you put all the pieces on before closing up the fuselage. I forgot to put the windows in that are just behind the seat. Got one in now to get the other. Ooops!!

How's she coming along now Wayne? I keep coming back here hoping to see the next set of pics. Can't wait to see the next bits....
cheers,
FW190

Ah the F6F, one of my fav WWII planes. This is looking very good so far. Looking forward to the painting of the exterior.

scratchmod

I have got to the point that I can start painting. I am going to mask off the windscreen today (Sunday) then I can paint. It is going to be a tri-color scheme with white on the bottom, then intermediate blue, the dark sea blue on top. To make the plane look weathered, I am going to first paint the bottom a very light gray then put white in the center of the panels. My way is to usually darken the base color then after shoot it with the base color. That makes the paint look faded without having to remember the paint ratios if (or when) I screw up somewhere.

For a supposedly new kit the molds already have some flash on them.

Here is another build I am doing on another forum for a Canadian GB. http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=220934

All comments are welcome.

prepaint1.jpg

prepaint2.jpg

Thanks Wayne, thanks very much.... Now I have gone and got my F6F out of the cupboard and started drooling over it :p. I have too many other projects in my mind right now and did not want to start thinking about another one. But now that I see your Hellcat I just could not help myself.
Looking forward to more progress reports.
cheers,
FW190

the bottom is painted and masked. Now I am going to put the intermediate blue on. Like I said before, here I am going to darken the base color then paint the base color on to give it a faded or dirty look. Pictures to follow soon.

Latest posts

Back