Dragon 1/35 Jagdpanther "Early Version"

Carsenault

I traded a few kits in exchange for some aftermarket goodies for the 1/48 Hasy F-16I Sufa, still waiting for them too arrive. While Im waiting for that, I got the urge to build some armor. I bought this kit second hand from Elm City Hobbies last summer, having always wanted to build one of these Tank Hunters.

The kit is not one of the newer "Smart Kits" from Dragon, its one of he still nicely detailed, slightly older tooling "Imperial Series" kits. These dont have any PE or Magic Tracks like the newer kits, nor is there much slide mold tooling. The kit however is still fairly impressive with lots of detail, seperate track links and a few build options. No molded on Zimmerit like on the newer kits, the builder has to make his own. Since this is more of a learning build for me, I decided to opt out of the Zimmerit after I discovered some references for a few Early Jagdpanthers in western Europe without a Zimmerit coating. This will be my first German Armor kit and my first tracked vehicle too. One thing that suprized me is the size of the Panther chassis, when I was first studying the parts, I was wondering if I had a 1/25 scale kit, and not 1/35. The hull is just as wide and almost as long as the 1/35 Leopard 2A6M hull I have waiting in the stash.

I started with the road wheels, there are 32 individual wheels not including the drive sprockets, idlers and return wheels... I kept each type separate from each other, placed them on some sprue, sanded the mold seams and sprue attachments, then airbrushed them with some Tamiya dark yellow, once tha twas dry I hand brushed the rubber rim using Gunze tire black. I will be doing a wash and filter coat eventually. Not planning to attache them to the hull until the tracks are ready. Besides the road wheels, I also started with the assembly of the upper and lower hulls detail parts.

072611011.jpg

072611010.jpg

072611009.jpg

ive never heard of a second hand kit, apart from that the wheels is the worst part of Armor in time you will gow to love it more and more :p

i almost bought the Tamia version today to Sit on my dragon wagon but the 65euro price tag turned me off

I hope you checked the seal on the odometer. These used tank dealers will do any thing to make a sell. :eek:

Tony lee ;D

Tony lee said:
I hope you checked the seal on the odometer. These used tank dealers will do any to make a sell. :eek:

Tony lee ;D

Im sure its fine Tony, Scott from ECH says it was only ever driven on Sundays by a little old lady from Stuttgart.

I'm married to a little old lady and I sleep with one eye open only because the other one is swelled shut. ;D

Tony lee ;)

lol well serves you right for sleeping with the little old lady :p

Tempted to try the Zimmerit afterall... decisions, decisions.

Really should keep it simple for my first armor build, but the Zimmerit would look so cool.

can you get Zim for this tank or do you need to do it the old fasion way?

I think there are a couple of Company's that Make Zimmerit for th JP .

Atak makes a set of Resin Zimm - ATAK35043 - http://www.armour-models.co.uk/model_kit_atak.html

or You can go th Old Fashion route, but I would suggest using Aves Apoxie Sculpt. There's a couple of different methods.

- http://ampscv.org/tutorials/zimmerit_paste.pdf

But, like you mentioned- there are a Few JP's that I have pix of from Late in th War that are Early JP's with No Zimmerit, So, you won't be totally wrong if you model it with out th Zimm & If you want to mark it as a 654th s.Pz.Jagr.Abtl. I can help ya' out there !!

I experimented a bit tonight using Elmer's wood filler as a medium for the Zimmerit, it was slow to work with since it took a while to set up enough to start working the pattern, but once it took, it was great.
Here's my 3 or 4th attempt, firat one I was really satisfied with. The putty was first smoothed on, then let to dry for a half hour or so before I started making the pattern using a tool I made based on a yip from the interweb, 3 needles glued to some cardstock, dragged through the putty. Lines look a little wonky, but thats ok, I can fix it later. After a half hour more, I went over the pattern with a 1/2" flat tip brush to remove some of the ridges.

zimmerit005.jpg

zimmerit004.jpg

Then once the pattern had a chance to dry for another half hour, I lightly brushed the surface with the brush again to soften the detail some more. That reall seemed to do the trick.

zimmerit008.jpg

WoW !! Great Job on th Wood Filler !!

One thing to remember about Zimmerit ... It was applied By hand .... so Wonky lines once & a while is O.K. & perfectly natural !! Don't be fooled by th Dragon Zimmerit & th like. There are pix that show not all Zimmerit was perfectly applied !! I think you did a Great Job !!!

and not all Zim was applied in lines altough prob 95% of it was lines ive seen a panther with in dimond shapes

Another method of DIY zimmerit.

Squadron Green or White putty, thinned with a bit of acetone. The downside of using it, even when thinning it out slightly with acetone, it sets up fast, so best to work in smaller areas at a time.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Another method of DIY zimmerit.

Squadron Green or White putty, thinned with a bit of acetone. The downside of using it, even when thinning it out slightly with acetone, it sets up fast, so best to work in smaller areas at a time.

Im thinking of doing that for the side armor Scott, I want to do a practice piece first to see how it works and how fast it sets, I figure ill have better control and consistency with it. Ill use the wood putty where I need more a more forgiving medium like the rear bulkheads, stowage bins and fenders.

1 sprue of track links has had its parts removed and cleaned up, 42 individual links per sprue, 4 more sprues to go. I wont be doing those all at once, 1 sprue at a time every other step or so. back to the Zimmerit now.

first thing i done/do on any kit that has the links on spurs is get it over with at the start saves the ugh moment down the line

Back