"Did you find any Droids?" by Bandai

Jaitea

OK,....dunno, probably not get these boys done by the finish date,...but I'll throw them in anyway....under the figure category

The Bandai R2-D2 is a lovely kit let down by his head,....theres a big join that runs down the middle of it & the metallic plastic is very toy like,.....so my aim is to build up the head differently to the instructions,....to light the various sections & make him LESS toylike;

Head assembled to allow the blue sections to be attached later, The seam filled & sanded then primed:

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg

Then painted with aluminium,.....then airbrushed with Mr Colour buff-able aluminium, the blue parts were sprayed with Citroen Poseidon Blue,.....the net found that some R2 builders recommended that colour

IMG_1845.jpg
IMG_1846.jpg

The R5 body, sprayed with white primer,..panel lines drawn in with fine sharpy:

IMG_1851.jpg

R5:
R5.jpg

& his mate:
r2%20amp%20r5.jpg

I want to do the 3PO weathered like he was in Star Wars .....(ANH).....so I experimented on the spare chest,....you get 2 with the kit,.....dented & undented

I blasted the part with hairspray,...them dabbed on some PVA glue to take away the shine of the Gold/Chrome,...then weathered on top of that with sponge

spare%203po.jpg

Thanks for looking
John

Id call that less toy like, looking cool. Threepio work looking great too.

Glad you popped in with this one, the kit is in my 'saved for later' list on Amazon. Looking forward to your updates.

Thanks guys,....I haven't done any more to these but I have some pics taken earlier in the build

IMG_1846_1.jpg

I did a mould & cast of these areas,...with an LED behind it should be OK

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

I cast this one also,....worried about carving the areas out on the original piece

IMG_1836.jpg

Thanks for looking

J

Hey John how are these coming??

(I ask sorta selfishly cuz I want to build my 3PO before the deadline :p)

Na Nick,......it sort of got shelved,.......I've gathered up some tiny LED's thanks to McDonalds happy meals,....('Home' film toys),.....so I've got R2's head sorted

I've got one more piece to cast

I also have a plan for 3PO's eyes

Once I get the BSC out of the way, I'll get back to the Hasbro Falcon & the droids on the side,.....hopefully

John

Latest posts

Back