Detailing a engine

If you are impatient like me (or lack the skill to make some parts - again like me), Elm City has a nice selection of products for detailing engines.

If you are cheap like my wife (wait, that came out wrong), you can use any wire (inslulated or not) 24 gauge or smaller for wires/battery cables. Beading wire works for fuel lines, tiger-tail or 43 strand beading wire works for braided line. I use crimp beads for fittings and spare wire insulation for spark plug boots. Distributors are a b*tch for me to make, so I use premade, if I am going to detail to that degree.

You can search for pretty much any part of the engine that is not box stock on SMA and find a way to either make it or buy it. In the end, though, it all boils down to what you think looks right. Test stuff out on engines in your spare parts stash (or buy a spare parts lot on ebay if you can find one with engines in it). If you are happy with the results, that's all that matters.

you can also use wires fro0m old phone lines or cat cables. You have pre wired distributors out there. Elm city has them. Parts by parks are a good brand to use. You can also use wire from walmart craft section. Hope that helped.

I like to find old printers, computers, motors, and other small electronics and take them apart. That is where I get my scale drive belts, wiring, screws, and other random pieces. If all else fails, eBay!

phoenix said:
I like to find old printers, computers, motors, and other small electronics and take them apart. That is where I get my scale drive belts, wiring, screws, and other random pieces. If all else fails, eBay!
Im the same way, I have boxes full of old electronics and not only are they good for wiring but all kinds of other items for other detailing, never ending supply...

The best wire I use and look good, it even come with 3 color. I go to Dollar Land and buy the longest phone line. !00 feet and strip the wire. it has 4 color.Red,Green,Yellow and Black. If you look at those store that sell you wirec it the same stuff. but from them you get 1 color Red 4in for $5.00. I make 4 set, 100 Ft for 3.00.
'

As everyone else stated there are tons of sources for wire,hoses..
For Radiator/heater lines I take the vinyl coating off of paperclips and it is pretty close, within a couple of mm's difference. For anodized lines you can use colored beading wire. The diameter of wire based on scale obviously.
Also solder wire is good for brake lines, it bends easily and is fairly cheap.Also you can look in the holiday gift wrapping section, they have a braided nylon line for wrapping that is very close to real braided line.
Hope it helps, have fun..

Latest posts

Back