Aftermarket detailing questions.

I never said I was a mechanic. I loved modeling all my life. I certainly don't have the 1:1 knowledge of all makes and models of cars as some of you. So don't laugh at me. That said...
In the immortal words of Homer Simpson
"DOH!"
And, for the record, I did not purchase the particular item shown. It was just the first picture I found on GOOGLE.

Model Car Garage has a large selection of distributors and plug wires - or - it's not particularly difficult to use a pin vise and small drill bit to make holes for the wires in the kit's distributor. I typically use winding wire for my plug wires.

Model Car Garage has a large selection of distributors and plug wires - or - it's not particularly difficult to use a pin vise and small drill bit to make holes for the wires in the kit's distributor. I typically use winding wire for my plug wires.
What gauge of wire? If it is silver or copper do you paint it?

I never said I was a mechanic. I loved modeling all my life. I certainly don't have the 1:1 knowledge of all makes and models of cars as some of you. So don't laugh at me. That said...
In the immortal words of Homer Simpson
"DOH!"
And, for the record, I did not purchase the particular item shown. It was just the first picture I found on GOOGLE.

Wow…. Who lit a fire on your arse? Chill out DUDE!!!!

I'm not exactly sure of the gauge but that looks about right. I got my winding wire years ago at Radio Shack (if you remember them). I have two reels, one is covered in a blue plastic and the other in red so I don't have to paint them. Plug wires come in almost any color so they work out well for my builds. I'd search for colored wire or something like that on Amazon (or your favorite site).

...I have two reels, one is covered in a blue plastic and the other in red so I don't have to paint them. Plug wires come in almost any color so they work out well for my builds. I'd search for colored wire or something like that..
Good tip! I had the same thought.

Cal, you could also try looking at Tamiya's website, or on eBay and elsewhere, for the detailing products they make. Tamiya, Fujimi, Aoshima, and other Japanese model companies have extensive catalogs of car kits, and some really excellent detailing products, including things like wiring, or hoses. They can be more expensive than using things like electrical wiring, but they're worth considering.

I look forward to seeing this when you've finished!

Best regards,
Brad

I'm still unclear on the install. I'm not sure what to do with this. All info I find is for DIY wiring.
20240111_144826.jpg
I realize there are holes to drill. Does the silver bit on the end replace the kit distributor? Does the long bit go into the engine block? What is the bigger tube for?

Any tips on working with these?
20240113_201059.jpg

20231229_224210.jpgI tried them out in an old Vette model.

20240101_001211.jpg
20240101_001141.jpg
They look Ok, but:
  • I think they look too short.
  • The belt material sticks out a bit on the female side.
  • Had difficulty cutting them off the spine. Nippers don't fit. My hobby knife won't cut it. I don't have a chisel blade narrow enough to get in there.
20231229_224139.jpg

20231229_224210.jpg
Tips and tricks appreciated.

Old steel Valve covers often had a metal tab welded in place...in this case, near the center of the valve cover.
A plastic wire loom clipped onto that tab.
The ignition wires were organized on the loom.
There might have also been other floating looms at very places to keep the wires in check.

The silver thingy on the wires is the distributor (cap).
You'll only see the thicker part when properly installed.
The longer skinny part inserts into a hole in the top of the the engine.
So I guess you have to cut off any existing distributor and drill a hole?

The extra tube in the package is so you can simulate boots (where the wire connects with the spark plug).
Straight boots are probably easiest, unless the ignition wires are wire, and formable?

That kit is for a 6 cylinder engine.
Only 6 wires coming out of the distributor cap.
Since there are only 3 spaces between the exhaust ports, you could use those and ignore the front plugs on either head.
That wire always ended up being too short when wires got replaced and always looked a mess. lol

[I may not be a great model builder, but I am a licensed Class A Mechanic (expired). Worked the trade from 1977 to 2001]

Ford_FE_engine.jpg

DSC02062.jpg

Latest posts

Back