Contest Q&A

I'm thinking that was the whole point of them changing that rule...you wouldn't give the model a second glance as you would have been swayed by the groundwork...but there are a lot of nuances to Ken's work on the model itself that get lost in the scene...there are a lot of folks here that are great "modelers" who lack scenery building skills and I think the change is to give those folks their due...

You can still do a scene...and yes- entering it into the All-Open might put it against someone's gold medal winner from 10 years ago...but that just means you have to step up your game...the real reason behind the contest is to raise money for the site and the sponsor child...the prizes are just incentive...if they are your only reason for joining, I think maybe you've missed the point...my opinion anyway. Either way...I guess it's up to you to decide what drives you to excel and then you have to call on that to motivate you...

Scott Girvan said:
If the base of part of the kit then it's ok.

part of the kit meaning it comes with the kit? but in this case i wouldn't call it a base but a STAND, right? still kosher for "air"?

If the base comes with the kit then it's part of the kit. If it's a stand for a plane or whatever that's fine.

Scott Girvan said:
If the base comes with the kit then it's part of the kit. If it's a stand for a plane or whatever that's fine.

What if the included base/stand is a sculpted/dio base? Like the bases that Scale75 include with their figures.

Should those just be left primed with no additional detailing? Or would some of their kits be considered dios? I only ask as I was considering doing Blackbeard, Erik the Red, or Fix It Sam. And they all have a sculpted base. Like:

trineo_scale75_P-400x520.jpg

JEDEDIAH SMITH

or

MAGO%20P2%20SCALE75-400x520.jpg

INVOCATIO

or

BLACKBEARD%20SCALE75%202-400x520.jpg

BLACKBEARD

Thanks, Scott!

adampolo13 said:
It depends on the status of the flux capacitor at the time of final pictures. Also, it depends on weather the car is running on the internal combustion engine or the Mr. Fusion. One last thing to consider, is it in hover mode?

:p

Lol ;D I'll keep that in mind if I finally decide and end up with this subject ;D

There was a lot of chatter about the rule changes from last year. The rule last year was that if it had a figure it was a diorama. I remember that Scott posted this:

Scott Girvan said:
Here's the formula.

Vehicle = Not diorama
Vehicle + Simple Base = Not diorama
Vehicle + Simple Base + Figure = Diorama
Vehicle + Figure = Diorama
Figure + Base = Diorama
Winny the Pooh + A hunk of plywood + The General Lee = Diorama

I simply have to draw the line somewhere.

So I built this for the contest:

IMG_20130220_124210.jpg

My point is that we should work with the rules and maybe have fun with them. There was no hunk of plywood so it was not a diorama. And Winnie the Poo was not an actual figure....

I think the rule is pretty simple. A plain base is ok, anything else is a diorama.

I have a model of Neuschwanstein Castle that I will not be entering. There is a base that comes with the kit, but it is very detailed of the rocky mountain that this castle sits upon. To do it right, I will have to add trees, and other such scenery. Which is not allowed in this contest unless I put it in the all open category. Maybe I will build it this summer and put it in next years contest.

I like the model only rule.....it levels the playing field to exactly what it's all about. The kit.

I'd include a Dio/Vignette section next year though. Instead of offering an airbrush, I'd offer paints, armorfarm supplies, resin casting, grass applicators, bases and the like. Focus on Dio styled prizes.

Just a suggestion for next year or later.

How about we don't build anything next year, just the coolest idea and post about what we think would be cool to build.

I'm getting a little to cynical.

Seriously, I'm ready to BUILD! :D

It's sad because I'm going to have a one week delay. Job interviews back at home and all. Hope the contestants bring their A-Games and don't keep tripping on the changing rules this year because I just wanna compete !!!

Mr. Girvan I am a junior possibly interested in the contest, new to the forum, I was wondering what you meant by a Special prize for juniors. Also will you have a seperate category for juniors or will we enter the finished product in the regular category? Thanks! ;D

Hi Rayfan98! Welcome to the site, we are glad to have you! In terms of that "Special Prize", well that is going to be a secret that Scott reveals at the completion of the contest. Also, referring back to Scott's original post, there will be NO separate Juniors category.

Cool. Dive in.

This year juniors compete in 'regular' categories but the staff is going to also award 1st, 2nd and 3rd Junior prizes. It's a way of having the category without having the category.

When you sign up for the contest, on or after March 1st, there will be a checkbox if you are a jr. or not.

And just for general information to all who read this... if you are not a junior and check the box you really need a good head shaking.

Latest posts

Back