Contest Q&A

Junkie

Active Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
8,830
Reaction score
0
Post your questions about the 2013 contest here.
 

spud

Irish and proud of it :)
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
6,918
Reaction score
0
why no dio this year ? and is there that many building floaty things?
 

Jeeves

Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
619
Reaction score
0
So if I am putting a KV-1 on a very simple concrete slab as a monument piece, would that still go in the All-Open?
 

Junkie

Active Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
8,830
Reaction score
0
spud said:
why no dio this year ? and is there that many building floaty things?
Just a decision we made. Mainly to make a change and to make answering questions, like the next one, easier.

Jeeves said:
So if I am putting a KV-1 on a very simple concrete slab as a monument piece, would that still go in the All-Open?
No bases at all for contest entries...other than all-open.
 

TBadger

Demolitions Expert
Joined
Mar 5, 2012
Messages
782
Reaction score
0
Well, that kinda puts the wrench not my idea.....looks like 3 entries this year all complete within a month ;)
 

Neo

What do you mean i'm addicted to Airplanes!
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
614
Reaction score
0
im gona build my secret santa as my first armor!
 

f2k

New Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2011
Messages
301
Reaction score
0
So, just to clarify:

An aircraft modelled in flight (that is, on a clear flight-stand) would go in the open category as it includes a base, right?

A boat placed in clear resin to simulate water would also go in the open category, right?

How about models such as tank-riders? The previous years, anything beyond a commander and a plain base was a diorama, so how do I enter, for example, a T-34 with a tank-rider squad?

And for those of us entering the open category, our three-month build risk going up against something that someone has had years to finish to the highest standard?
 

RickyE

New Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2013
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
Scott I find this interesting considering I am just getting back into model building after several years and I mean several..lol..I am still in the process of purchasing everything I need to start building. All I am lacking is my paints, plastic cement, etc.. My question is this. If I want to sign up for this contest, do I have to sign up by or on March 1st or can it be after this date? As I mentioned before, I am still in the process of purchasing everything. I have all my paint brushes, airbrush set and some other items. My air compressor I ordered from TCP Global is on it's way as we speak. I even built a spray booth..lol..
 

Tailor

**ck 'em, if they can't take a joke!
Joined
Mar 23, 2012
Messages
495
Reaction score
0
I am interested know about floaty things, too.
Primarily the base is of interest. Building a full hull model in prestine condition with no figures does look OK. You see these in offices as desktop models, etc. . A waterline model on the other hand with all weathering and crew etc. looks just oddly out of place, if not attached to a seascape.
I mean something like this:



not like this:




I understand that harbours, Unrep scenes, etc. should be ruled out to concentrate on the model itself, but a waterline ship with no water seems to me like ruling "the car's wheels should not touch the ground".

This is just for your consideration.

Secondly, if I build a full hull model, It'll need a stand and preferrably a nice one. Does that fall into the "no base rule", too?


Moreover, will you post a Paypal link for the registartion fee? If not to which address do we send it to?

Cheers,
Guido
 

TBadger

Demolitions Expert
Joined
Mar 5, 2012
Messages
782
Reaction score
0
Once the BSC goes live, there will prob be a topic about it as well as a link on the Homepage. Last year this had a fillable form and link directly to Paypal for the fees. I imagine that the link should be posted on March 1st right on time.

Bases can still be used, but I think they're suggesting that the base be as plain as can be so as not to sway a decision to vote. I know a kit on a SWEET base draws more attention and perhaps they want that not to be a factor this year.

Another idea, is to take final pics when the piece is not on the base yet, that would remedy any argument over bases
 

Tailor

**ck 'em, if they can't take a joke!
Joined
Mar 23, 2012
Messages
495
Reaction score
0
TBadger said:
Another idea, is to take final pics when the piece is not on the base yet, that would remedy any argument over bases
Thanks for the info, TBadger! Such a link will certainly be helpful for putting down the fee.

I see the point about the base, however most small scale ship kit modeller would be attaching his kit to a base before addingany of the small parts. The base helps to avoid unwanted contact and unnecessary direct handling. If you look at the top picture, which a 1/700th scale SMS Goeben, you see the streched sprue rigging on the masts and along the hull. That won't take any direct physical contact without breaking. There is hardly more a total of a 1/4 of a square-inch to lay your finger at all. That makes handling them very risky. Attaching them to a base after finishing is (IMHO) next to impossible without causing damage.

Well, in any case I'll put some thought to it. Maybe I can figure out a way around this procedure or alternating it so I can produce a good shooting of the final result without a display base. ..., but I still hoping a simple seascape base, with nothing else, but the hull touching the water will be allowed for us ship-builders even with the final entry shots.

Cheers!
 

spud

Irish and proud of it :)
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
6,918
Reaction score
0
What about adding a fig or figs to a bit of armor how is that. Looked at
 
S

ScaleModelMadman

Guest
f2k said:
So, just to clarify:

An aircraft modelled in flight (that is, on a clear flight-stand) would go in the open category as it includes a base, right?
The clear stand that comes in the kit? No. That's not a base, it's just a plastic piece of the kit to hold it in the air.



f2k said:
A boat placed in clear resin to simulate water would also go in the open category, right?
Not if you take photos of it before placing it in the water, just flat on a piece of blue stock would work.

f2k said:
How about models such as tank-riders? The previous years, anything beyond a commander and a plain base was a diorama, so how do I enter, for example, a T-34 with a tank-rider squad?
Don't submit pictures with figures, it goes into armor. Submit pictures with figures, it goes in open.


f2k said:
And for those of us entering the open category, our three-month build risk going up against something that someone has had years to finish to the highest standard?
Yup, unless of course you do as the video says (and what I typed above) and take the photo prior to adding those things.
 
S

ScaleModelMadman

Guest
TBadger said:
Another idea, is to take final pics when the piece is not on the base yet, that would remedy any argument over bases
Zachly. Scott even says that in the video. ;)

Easy Peasy
 
S

ScaleModelMadman

Guest
Tailor said:
however most small scale ship kit modeller would be attaching his kit to a base before addingany of the small parts. The base helps to avoid unwanted contact and unnecessary direct handling.
Well, I have never built a small scale ship with all that rigging so I can't argue that, but can the water be added later?

Can you attach it to a base temporarily with blutack?

Pretty sure Scott said a plain wood base is okay, it's just groundwork and figures and buildings (and water) and such that when done well, can influence the judging against someone who didn't do that.
 

spud

Irish and proud of it :)
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
6,918
Reaction score
0
right so if i want to add figs to my tank i gotta put them in the fig cat ;/ kinda sucks but i can just take the pics of it with out them.

thanks for clearing that up.
 
S

ScaleModelMadman

Guest
spud said:
right so if i want to add figs to my tank i gotta put them in the fig cat ;/ kinda sucks but i can just take the pics of it with out them.

thanks for clearing that up.
Not really.

You don't have to do anything like that if you don't want to, you don't have to enter the figures in anything (unless you want to enter two categories). Just take your photos of the tank before putting them on.

Why does it suck? Because your tank will look better with the figures right? Think about all the dudes who enter without figures, I bet they think it sucks that yours looks better than theirs. ;)
 

f2k

New Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2011
Messages
301
Reaction score
0
Ken Abrams said:
The clear stand that comes in the kit? No. That's not a base, it's just a plastic piece of the kit to hold it in the air.
Sorry for nitpicking, but I'm kinda curious just where you draw the line.

Take, for example, this Battlefront ME 262:





Same model, same base. Only difference (apart from the paint-job) is that one of the bases has been flocked. Are they both okay?

I’m asking because I’ve been toying with entering a heavily converted Ork Bomba which includes a base:



Would that “fly“…? Ha… Ha… Okay… Sorry… Bad pun…

Ken Abrams said:
Why does it suck? Because your tank will look better with the figures right? Think about all the dudes who enter without figures, I bet they think it sucks that yours looks better than theirs. ;)
I can only speak for myself, of course...

I, honestly, think it sucks because a base or crew is a very big part of a model as that’s what creates a setting. A “narrative” if you like...

Yes, I could just paint up a tank, put it down on the table, and take a picture. But where’s the fun in that?
Put it on a base with grass and gently sloping ground, add a few tank-riders, and suddenly you have a T-34 charging across the steppes near Kursk.

As I said in the chat thread, I find un-based models to be utterly boring (in most cases, anyway). But that might just be me...?
 

Latest posts

Top