Contest Q&A

spud said:
right so if i want to add figs to my tank i gotta put them in the fig cat ;/ kinda sucks but i can just take the pics of it with out them.

thanks for clearing that up.

If your building something to "win" a category, the rules have been posted. No Dio category this year. Now, if your building to have fun I will throw this out there. Anybody who enters the contest can build whatever they want.

Spud, you can build a tank with 4000 figures if you want, or a ship with nice resin water, etc etc. All we're saying is that those builds will be judged in the "all-open" category.

Again, if your building to "win" you guys have the rules.

Thanks Ken.

Another question how do I explain to my wife that I have to spend every spare minute I have in the next 3 months completing my entry ?..... ::)

f2k said:
Same model, same base. Only difference (apart from the paint-job) is that one of the bases has been flocked. Are they both okay?

No, one has grass and dirt and rocks.

Take a photo of the 'naked' base first, enter contest, then add grass, dirt, rocks.

f2k said:
Would that “fly“…? Ha… Ha… Okay… Sorry… Bad pun…

Actually, it was quite funny.

f2k said:
I, honestly, think it sucks because a base or crew is a very big part of a model as that’s what creates a setting. A “narrative” if you like...

Exactly. A setting, a narrative... or a diorama/vignette.

f2k said:
Yes, I could just paint up a tank, put it down on the table, and take a picture. But where’s the fun in that?

In the build? In the painting?

f2k said:
Put it on a base with grass and gently sloping ground, add a few tank-riders, and suddenly you have a T-34 charging across the steppes near Kursk.

Yup! and you also have a diorama. ;D

f2k said:
As I said in the chat thread, I find un-based models to be utterly boring (in most cases, anyway). But that might just be me...?

No, me too.

In fact, I base almost every single one of my models for many of the same reasons.

Having said that, I entered in 2010 with this:

ENTRY2_zps2002a124.jpg

A month later, it looked like this:

100_2754.jpg

rookie said:
Thanks Ken.

Another question how do I explain to my wife that I have to spend every spare minute I have in the next 3 months completing my entry ?..... ::)

Ha!

Good luck with that. ;)

lol Ken thats the Idea :p i wont enter the fig part, i dont have a chance on some of the guys in that area but as i said ill just take a pic with out the figs first.

i see having all kits on the same playing field will be more fun for voting.

Will you be entering this year Ken? :) I hope you do

First of all, I'd like to throw in my 2 cents saying, that I'm actually quite intrigued with this year's rules concerning the dioramas (even though I think that might be an unpopular opinion). It's IMHO pretty cool that Scott and the SMA-staff guys make such every year rules-adaptations, as that makes each new contest kind of unpredictable. Last year I had to change my kit choice due to the restriction terrain=diorama, this year I throw away my initial plans also as the kit I've planned to build at first just begs for a dio in a way I can't depict the model without it or build the base latter. And I think this is kinda really cool, as unlike all the other contests with a quadrillion categories that makes BSC more... I'm not sure how to explain it.. alive so to say. By the requirement to play by the modifying rules we intense our common involvement in the process. I'm pretty sure with that, as no other model - related event has ever gave me such a charge of emotions as these three months we, guys, spend with you all together here on the boards of SMA struggling with deadlines, being amazed by the tons of extra-class builds in the greatest variety of genres going at the same time, exchanging thoughts and ideas.
Now, closer to my question. It is pretty simple I must admidt.
In case if I decide to build a Back to the Future De'Lorean time-machine, would it be the auto, the sci-fi or the free choice between 'em two category?

With regards to the Delorean...that would be your choice. It's sci-fi, it's a car...you would put it in the category you think you want to compete in.

Solander said:
In case if I decide to build a Back to the Future De'Lorean time-machine, would it be the auto, the sci-fi or the free choice between 'em two category?

It depends on the status of the flux capacitor at the time of final pictures. Also, it depends on weather the car is running on the internal combustion engine or the Mr. Fusion. One last thing to consider, is it in hover mode?

:p

I have an idea for a kit bash that might be fun for the contest. It will involve at least two kits for body and running gear and a Parts Pak engine. I bought the body kit today and the engine and drag slicks are in the mail. Since I haven't started beyond planning, is this OK for the automotive category? How should I do the photo for the qualifying entry? Put all of the parts displayed in one photo?

Is asking for technical help like how to cut a door or hood on the forum cheating?

Thanks, Dale

adampolo13 said:
Solander said:

It depends on the status of the flux capacitor at the time of final pictures. Also, it depends on weather the car is running on the internal combustion engine or the Mr. Fusion. One last thing to consider, is it in hover mode?

:p

Just put it ona road with some trees and problem solved, you are in the all open section ;D

The diorama rule has changed my angle of attack but ill still be entering, maybe in 2 categories.

From what iv'e read (correct me if im wrong) if the base is part of the kit out of the box, its ok.
e.g.
B_DRA38312_01.jpg

As soon as you add to that (flocking, plants, lighting) it becomes a diorama.

So if im reading the prices right i need to get third place !!! Im dying for a Badger Krome

it would be cool if we got to choose the prices we want.

1st place get first pic
2nd gets second pic
ect

na no picking i think its pretty good that third is getting a Krome

Are resin kits okay? This is the first time I'll be entering a modelling contest…ever, I'm not in the know on mostly everything.

What about a basic stand like this? Still in the 'air' category?

img_0029.jpg

And just to be clear, if I built a plane landed with it's canopy popped and crew ladders/walkways, etc, it would still count as 'air' as long as there isn't a figure or ground vehicle? All components need to be part of the model?

unttld said:
Are resin kits okay? This is the first time I'll be entering a modelling contest…ever, I'm not in the know on mostly everything.
Resin kits are Just fine

nicholassagan said:
What about a basic stand like this? Still in the 'air' category?

img_0029.jpg

And just to be clear, if I built a plane landed with it's canopy popped and crew ladders/walkways, etc, it would still count as 'air' as long as there isn't a figure or ground vehicle? All components need to be part of the model?
Base like that should be fine.
A pilot in the cockpit would be fine, but I'd stay away from any equipment around the aircraft

Ken Abrams said:
No, one has grass and dirt and rocks.

That's just me then. As a tabletop gamer, I consider a base to be a base. Left bare or covered with grass or sand - it doesn't matter; it's still the same base.

Take a photo of the 'naked' base first, enter contest, then add grass, dirt, rocks.

Guess I'll just have to do that then.

In the build? In the painting?

Nah... That's just hard work. The fun is in the planing and conversion stages - after that I tend to lose interest. Which might explain why I manage to start so many builds and finish so few of them... ::)

No, me too.

In fact, I base almost every single one of my models for many of the same reasons.

Having said that, I entered in 2010 with this:

ENTRY2_zps2002a124.jpg

A month later, it looked like this:

100_2754.jpg

And that illustrates perfectly what I mean. No offence meant, but the model in the first picture is boring. Very nicely painted, but utterly boring.

In the second picture, on the other hand, it's much more interesting as there's now a narrative behind it.

Had I seen both of them, side by side, in real life, I wouldn't even have stopped to look at the first one while I might easily have used 10 or 15 minutes ogling at the second, admiring the paint-job and composition, all the while wondering about the story behind that particular diorama.

Oh well... I suppose this isn't the place for such idle chit-chat. Thank you for the clarifications. Can't say I'm particularly happy about it, but hey... Scott's contest... Scott's rules...

I'll take it as a challenge then...

Latest posts

Back