Cockpit Green for F4U-1 (Tamiya Paints)

trainman

I’d like to know what the “proper” shade of cockpit green is appropriate for the F4U-1 Bird Cage Corsair? In Tamiya’s instructions they refer to mixing XF-3 and XF-5 two to one, it also refers to XF-4 (yellow green) in the paint list. I’ve tried XF-71 (as suggested in a tutorial) but to my eye, it looks too green. Can someone clarify this? Thank you, Pierre 8)

I just talked about this on another thread a little while ago :) I use Humbrol 226 interior green myself for cockpit colour . The XF4 yellow green is most likely the 'Zinc Chromate' used in the wheel wells and other access areas ,you can mix that using flat Yellow and a tiny drop of any Green (just enough to take the brightness of the yellow ) But some Corsairs had the wheel wells painted the same as the underside colour so check your references ;)

Chris.

Hi Chris S and Dusky, I’ve looked at some reference photos in Aero Detail 25 and the cockpit looks like an olive green, and XF-4 in very close to that, although a drop of flat green might get it closer. This is my first kit in decades, so my goal here is to build a good representation of an F4U-1 not a specific one. Thank you, Pierre 8)

Pierre,

I know you're looking for Tamiya paint references for the inside of your F4U-1 build. I only have the same paint call out you mentioned earlier (2 XF-3 + 1 XF-5). As a side note I typically use Vallejo Model Air Interior Green for my US aircraft - I like it because it's kind of middle of the road compared to many of the interior colours that existed on many of the aircraft. Also it's pretty much ready to go out of the bottle...

Hope this helps.

J

Hi JMac, I’ve tried the Vallejo olive green and it looked too dark (to my eye anyway), I’m thinking of trying Tamiya XF-4 (yellow green) see how it comes out. Pierre 8)

trainman said:
Hi JMac, I’ve tried the Vallejo olive green and it looked too dark (to my eye anyway), I’m thinking of trying Tamiya XF-4 (yellow green) see how it comes out. Pierre 8)

The an olive would be too dark, Vallejos Interior Green (71.010) is lighter.

Hi JMac, I got some Tamiya paints this afternoon XF-3 and XF-5 as to Tamiya’s instructions; they refer to mixing XF-3 and XF-5 two to one. As for Vallejo paints, I’d have to go to another hobby shop :D. Well I’ll give this mix a try and see how it works out. Thank you, Pierre 8)

Gentlemen, I’ve decided to use the Tamiya paints, XF-3 and XF-5 (two to one) with 1/3 Tamiya X-20A thinner following their website’s recommendation. So far I’m quite pleased with the end result. Pierre ;D

I finally finished my Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair cockpit (the photo’s not great) but it shows some of the details. Pierre

DSC00326_zps97cb18f9.jpg

Latest posts

Back