Charlie's ADD build... Dragon 1/35 Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.N w/Winterketten

looks good Charlie, you could always use the AK filter to tone down the color :)

Will have to pick up some pigments some time, all I have here is some Vallejo natural sienna.

Not quite sure how, but I did manage to do one full run of track links tonight without tossing it all in the bin. I can see why the DS tracks are gaining popularity. The instructions call for 94 links per side. I couldnt quite get the ends too meet so I had to add an extra link. I basically ran a full length of tracks, then reattached them several times where the glue let go. I then worked them around the idler and sproket, then finally down to the road wheels. I used some q-tip shafts wrapped in masking tape to help set the sag between the return rollers. Gonna let it set for a while and see if it will all hold together. I do the other run some time over the weekend.

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

Looking at the pictures just now, and the tracks are way too loose around the ideler and sproket. Gonna have to remove a link after all. Fingers crossed. :-\

Edit: Phew, it works fine with 94 links.

Looking good Charlie, them tracks tend to come apart when u use a wash on them but there easy to put back together :)

Yeah, I had issues keeping the tracks together on my Jagpanther as well. That was more of a learning experience for me, tried a few new things on that build. Few things I've done differently on this build so far is assembling the tracks in one continuous section instead of individual sections and I'm using Testors liquid cement applied directly to each joint instead of Tamiya extra thin brushed over the seams. I was also thinking of sealing the tracks with a few coats of Future before starting the weathering process, hopefully that will keep the oil wash from attacking the cement bond.

Farg!!! :mad:
Im starting to see the value in those Fruile cast metal tracks... I think I might order a set coz Im having a bear of a time with these DML Magic Tracks. They will not stay together for me and for some reason, now that they are painted and weathered, one side seem to be too short, I cant get the last joint together. Gonna have to sacrifice a few spares to finish the track runs. If that doesnt work Ill be looking at some Fruiles for sure. Otherwise, this kit is looking good.

Will do Scott. I see AFV Club make tracks as well that are half the price of the Fruils. Might go with those if I cant do anything with the kit tracks.

Carsenault said:
Will do Scott. I see AFV Club make tracks as well that are half the price of the Fruils. Might go with those if I cant do anything with the kit tracks.

Yeah the Fruilis would run about $39, AFV Club ones about $29. I think there is a fair bit more work to the AFV ones however.

Still expensive though, the kit didnt cost me that much. I will see what I can do with the magic tracks first. I had the same trouble with the Jagdpanther tracks and managed to get them linked up after a while.

Charlie,

on top of the cost, Fruils are no cakewalk either. Cleaning up the castings, drilling out the holes that need cleaning, working with the wire or pins... While they do have a nice weighted appearance, they aren't really any easier to assemble IMO.

Sometimes after a day or so of the glue hardening completely on magic tracks, I will go over the seams one at a time and look for gaps and other places where the glue didn't make full connection on the first application and apply more glue. This is of course done prior to painting and repeated until I feel confident the tracks are solid. I have never had tracks come apart since taking these extra steps, even with repeated enamel washes etc.

Also, they can shrink a bit as they dry. When you apply the glue and it melts the plastic they sort of expand on a very minute level but when multiplied over the link count it's noticeable, especially once it dries as they then shrink back and tighten up a bit. If the kit has the option of a movable rear idler, I always keep that loose until I'm done with the tracks and adjust to fit.

There is also blackening fluid which is at least 20 more for you guys,

As for the tracks there is a bit of work drilling out the holes but once that is done use pins and they fly together. I would say the dml tracks are 100 times more frustrating to use and this is why I will 99% of the time use fruils.

Thanks for the advice guys. Will definitely try your method next time around Ken hopefully I'll remember that though as I have a ton of other builds to do before I get to another Magic Track kit.

Well sometimes, being stubborn can be a good thing...

I was able to get the tracks links done tonight, I didnt even have to add a spare link. Almost done now, just need to secure the tracks to the road wheels and idlers and add some mud and ill be off to the races. Thanks for your help and encouragement guys!

008-1.jpg

003-3.jpg

Latest posts

Back