Charlie's ADD build... Dragon 1/35 Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.N w/Winterketten

Carsenault

Well, As hinted in my ADD post, here's my newest build, Il be going back and forth between this and whatever else I am/will be working on... lol.

I found a great reference post on building this kit start to finish, its inspired me alot. The builder has quite a few reviews and full step by step builds, check them out here... http://www.bpmodels.net/Model/Album/phpBB2/index.php

I'm planning on building the box art markings option depicting a 502 Panzer div tank during the battle for Leningrad in the winter of 43.

I've pretty much been following the posts by Bill Plunk at bpmodels.net, he also points out the mistakes and pitfalls made by DML and how to fix them, plus gives great pointers which are really appreciated by a Panzernoob like me. With these models, you really have to pay attention to the assembly instructions as much as you can, I already missed a step where I had to place some photo-etch grills before continueing with the build. I had to backtrack a bit to get it right. I started off with the assembly of all 12 road wheels, 6 return rollers plus the idlers and drive sprokets. Once those were cleaned up and assembled, I set them aside and started on the chassis... If you havent had a chance to build one of these recent DML Panzer or Stug kits, do yourself a favor and go out to buy one right now. Awesome detail right out of the box, and even an option for a poseable suspension if your careful enough. Each of the torsion bars along the floor is a separate part, and all can be made to be fully functional (see Spud's post). You do have to be careful as they are slightly different for the left and right sides (as I found out after I had freed all 12 off of the sprues and placed them in a nice big pile). ::) Once you have them placed, you can attach the road wheel swing arms.

002.jpg

Once that was done I began assembly of the rear hull plate and related areas, here is where I missed the step to attach the pe grills before attaching the rest of the styrene parts. I'll know better next time, for now Ill disguise it as a little road wear. :p

003.jpg

CHARLIE ,

Thanx for th heads up on this build. I have this kit in My stash ... Great knowledge !!

Lookin forward to seein this get together !!

Keep Rockin' it !!

Bill is a great guy and modeller too.

You have made some great progress so far cars, look forward to more,

fracking carpet monster... I somehow managed to lose a not so small part mere milliseconds after removeing it from the sprue... part A35 which is a tool box lid, measuring about 3/8 x 5/8. Never even heard it fall onto my desk or fly off and ricochet off something, simply dropped onto my lap and dissapeared. :-[
Im sure its something I could fabricate easily enough if I had too, Im just more annoyed at myself for loosing it in the first place. Maybe I shouldnt be building when Im so tired.

Ironically enough I found a miniscule piece of nickel plated photoetch from my last build that i thought I had lost forever while looking for this latest missing part.

would this be the Part that went missing, it not needed on my sig33 build so you are welcome to the part, pop me a pm with your address and ill get it in the post to ya
_MG_3958.jpg

That is indeed the missing part... I would definitely appreciate it if its not too much trouble. pm inbound.

I thought I had taken more pictures of the sub-assemblies, if I did, I cant find them...

Got busy with the airbrush today and put down a base coat of Tamiya XF63, an modelated that with a mix of that and about 10% white. Im liking the way it looks at the moment in the overall panzer gray, I'm thinking of leaving it that way to speep up the process instead of holding back while the paint cures before I can start masking off the gray for the winter camo. Might be easier to see how my weathering is progressing too.

001.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

A great model on the way. Charlie :D

Panzer III is one of my favourite subjecs (but I´ve NEVERRR built one :-X)

Spuddy, lad, thats GREAT... ;)

Cheers
RG

Looking good thus far,

dont talk to me about the carpet, me and him go way back :p

Thanks guys...

I added some more color modulation. To me right now it looks great to the naked eye, however, the weathering will no doubt darken things up again, so Im thinking I still need to lighten it up some more. I still have some of the faded panzer gray left, might just mix in a little more white and have one more go at the color modulation before I seal it all to prep for decals and washes. I should also get cracking on the tracks links. I am sanding down the ejector pin marks on the inner surfaces plus some have a slight nub leftover from the molding process. I have about 70% of them done.

PS: Here's a shout out to my bud Spud! Thanks for helping out with the lost part. :D

I am the same way, I have about 4 builds going on. The tank is looking good, will be watching this one. Thanks for the link, will check it out.

-Steven

Thanks Steven. I really like your signature, thats why I come to places like SMA as well, not just to share, but also to learn.

I spent some more quality time with the airbrush today, continuing with the color modulation. After the second pass I felt like it could use maybe one more pass... I should have stopped there.

005.jpg

I went ahead with the 3rd pass and it got way to pale at that point. I hoped maybe the Future gloss coat would darken it up some but it didnt make a whole lot off difference.

007.jpg

So I back-tracked a bit and mixed a slightly darker gray than the last few coats and misted that on strategically. That brought the shading and shadows back nicely. I got the handfull of decals on at that point and called it a night.

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

One thing I have noticed about modulation, they don't always spray everything when doing the lighter stuff....things like the 2 smaller circle things on the turret roof (can you tell I don't build much of any WWII German stuff....circle thingys! LOL), they would paint by hand instead of trying to airbrush them, even the hatches on the front of the hull...they would sometimes hand paint with a lighter version of the base color.

I am by no means an expert in modulation, if anything a low tier rookie, but just what I have observed in the various articles and videos I have seen. Might be easier than trying to airbrush them.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing Scott, gonna do so drybrushing anyways on the big rectangular thingamabobbers on the backside.

Now, I wish I had decided on this scheme before I started painting, I would have done some hairspray paint chipping. Now im gonnna have to do it the old fashioned way. Gonna have to find a method I am comfortable with.

Latest posts

Back