Willy MB 1:35 Jeep build

darktater

Finally getting started (it's only been 45 ish years)
This sure was easier with young eyes, I'm going to have to get used to looking at such small parts! I didn't think I would use the magnifier in my lamp, but I will be. Also I played with the airbrush for a bit, lot's of learning to do!

52693647764_be17265cea_k.jpg2023-02-16_07-33-52 by Peter Tschantz, on Flickr

52693648209_9ad3cf48dd_k.jpg2023-02-16_07-34-16 by Peter Tschantz, on Flickr

waiting on some Tamiya putty to dry (mold lines on the Willlys had to be corrected), while having a bourbon and a nice bowl of Virginia / Perique pipe tobacco ;-) Oh, and watching Band of Brothers....
Now that's the way to watch paint / putty dry.
Pantherman

Welcome to the world of old eyes. I wear readers plus the magnifier in a lamp. You will get used to the airbrush and love it, but be ready you'll have some hiccups along the way. One tip, just like rebooting is the first step to correct a computer glitch, cleaning the airbrush is like rebooting your airbrush.

Welcome to the world of old eyes. I wear readers plus the magnifier in a lamp. You will get used to the airbrush and love it, but be ready you'll have some hiccups along the way. One tip, just like rebooting is the first step to correct a computer glitch, cleaning the airbrush is like rebooting your airbrush.
Thanks Jim, I'm wearing tri-focals plus the Magnifier, starting to figure out positioning to get the best focus. I'm rebooting my airbrush regularly, main thing for me to work on is proper paint thinning / PSI it appears.

Finally getting started (it's only been 45 ish years)
This sure was easier with young eyes, I'm going to have to get used to looking at such small parts! I didn't think I would use the magnifier in my lamp, but I will be. Also I played with the airbrush for a bit, lot's of learning to do!

View attachment 973042023-02-16_07-33-52 by Peter Tschantz, on Flickr

View attachment 973052023-02-16_07-34-16 by Peter Tschantz, on Flickr

Wow! 45 years is a long time. Welcome back to the hobby.

Regarding your old eyesi I HIGHLY recommend getting a headband magnifier like this one on Amazon. You can get them at most hobby and craft stores too:

Amazon product ASIN B08YN8HWTZ

Now that I’m in my mid-60’s, I use mine all the time and have found them to be indispensable when working with small parts or when brush painting really small details. Best thing is you don’t have to reposition them all the time like you do when working with a desk lamp magnifier. Plus you can move the headband up and down; I find I have much less neck and shoulder pain now that I’m not spending hours looking down with my neck bending over the workbench.

Last edited:
Wow! 45 years is a long time. Welcome back to the hobby.

regarding your old eyesi HIGHLY recommend getting a headband magnifier like this one on Amazon:

Amazon product ASIN B08YN8HWTZ
I use mine all the time and have found it indispensable when working with small parts or when brush painting small details.
Thanks, I'm planning on getting the visor type - just trying to figure out what magnification I want. So I'm going to use the 5x in the lamp for a bit to see what I like/need.

OD Paint arrived, finally finished priming everything in black, so tomorrow we start with the OD Base coat and my first adventure into detailing & weathering...

I like that you're keeping the figures matte..instead gloss, then matte, by the way where did you source those 1:35 figures..?
yDzbRca.jpg
Just bought this 3000 lumin over head light, after using 2 goosenecks...I tell ya...night. and. day. ..Once the 2.5s go on...Phhffft

I like that you're keeping the figures matte..instead gloss, then matte, by the way where did you source those 1:35 figures..?
View attachment 97563
Just bought this 3000 lumin over head light, after using 2 goosenecks...I tell ya...night. and. day. ..Once the 2.5s go on...Phhffft
the figures are the Alpine #35262 WW2 US Jeep Crew Set, for mine from

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394463294773?epid=5028197580&hash=item5bd7d83535:g:pKkAAOSwx7ti0dFP

good service, quick shipping

Latest posts

Back