Char Somua S35

Rentar1

Don't let the NAZI bolt counters get you down!
Hi guys,

Here is a model I did just before christmas. The French Char Somua S 35 by Heller. It is a vintage kit (30-40 years old). I picked it up at the AMPS Show in Danbury, Conn. for a couple of bucks last year. I like building these older kits with a little time and effort they really turn out nice. I just happened to take some in progress photos. So here you go.

DSC02545.jpg
DSC02549.jpg

It came with two figures (which as we know is rare today), and one was a driver. So, I decided to get out of my comfort zone and do a little scrachbuilding. The driver originally was supposed to sit on a little peg. I decided to put in an interior minus the engines.

DSC02553.jpg
DSC02555.jpg

I primed it using rattle can primer.
DSC02849.jpg
DSC02850.jpg

I shaved off the hatch handle detail and replaced with wire.
DSC02851.jpg

There are quite a few paint schemes the french used for this tank not including what ZEE Germans did when they "borrowed" them. I went with a three color vertical pattern. The green and kacki I custom mixed with Modelmaster paints and I just happened to have brown in the humbrol the the kit originally called for.
DSC02853.jpg

And here is the final product... The only other mods I did was to scatchbuild the horn, which was a solid chunk of plastic, and replaced the headlamp guard which was grossly over-sized. In addition I cut open the main hatch and built interior detail on it. Also, I thought that it wouldn't really be a french tank with out a small place setting of wine and cheese that could be viewed through the open hatch. Not really accurate per se. But, "WERE YOU THERE!" how do you know.

DSC03166.jpg
DSC03167.jpg
DSC03168.jpg
DSC03171.jpg
DSC03174.jpg
DSC03178.jpg
DSC03175.jpg
DSC03176.jpg

I hope ya'll enjoy the pics. I had alot of fun with this model...and thats what its all about...right?.

P.S. I know I painted the eyes WAY to big on the figures. Pretend they are watching all those panzers coming over the hill. :p

love it. love the cheese ;D and it turned out pretty good for such an oldy

RENTAR1 ,

That's a really nice lookin' Tank ! Great job on th scratch buildin' !! A rare kit indeed !

Dig it !

Thank you Spud and panzerace for the kind words.

Wow i love this, another early war tank ftw. 8)

Great scratch building and i love the French 'style' you gave it. lol

Hope to see more like this mate.

TTFN Matt

Sach-rea blue, doz Fillty GGermons aaar com'g fur hour Vino n Cheez!!!!
Hey Rentar, Absolutely fantastic job on this old kit.
Scratchbuilding and Humor to boot......Terrific.
Afew bucks for the kit, some sweat equity in construction and tadda
a compitition quality model. Plus it didn't cost you $60 for some of these
newer kits out there.
Keep up the good work.

Rentar, overall fantastic. Love how you built the interior and the wine and cheese, classic ;D Like the others said, great work on an old kit and all for a few dollars. Love the paint job.

Latest posts

Back