Burnishing Fluid....what is it???

Burnishing fluid is a liquid that you apply to metals to darken/age them. It is probably an acid.

I would guess its similar to a Morten Etch solution used to dull & etch base Galvanized steel before painting ,it makes it turn black too , But I imagine for modelling use it wouldnt be quite as strong or have as much fumes !.

Chris.

the AK Burnishing fluid has no smell at all, i just opened a bottle to confirm it :)

It is used for Burnishing Metal Tracks, the Bottle doesn't say what is in it just says Harmful :/

I'm sure it's a simple chemical suspension with a Copper / Sulfate ion suspension to achieve the results. We used a solution like that to precipitate a solution when I was taking Organic I & II and InOrganics.

I wouldnt print it on the bottle either since as I'm sure its pretty cheap to produce and most would just mix their own instead of paying over $12 for .1 Litres. The only way to be sure of the contents is by requisitioning an official MSDS.

( Friend of mine had some from when he did a Die Cast CAT Drag Line Shovel.....$7500 model had white metal tracks. Go figure ! )

Latest posts

Back