Builing Italeri's PT 109: The Last Night

there's no more joy than a top bit of scratch building and you've nailed it...looks superb buddy

Scar stuff there Rook!! :eek: Another reason for giving these fellas that manned them kudos!!! You would have to have big nuggets to ride with only plywood for armor!!!

Thanks you Matt!!! I am really looking forward to getting on the painting!! LOL...I need to get some of it glued together first though!!! ::)

Looking sweet Todd! That hull looks so good, you better give me a tow of the back of this when its done! :D

Looking Splendiferous my good fellow ;D ,I was looking at this kit and the Vosper in the shop today .....and carefully put the lids back on the box ,and the boxes back on the shelf ;D ;D Maybe sometime .......?

Chris.

Thank a bunch John!! I am thinking you have been "thinking", no? LOL!! I cannot stop thinking about the paint job on this...Gonna be a fun one!!

Thanks a lot there Chris!! The Vosper is a nice kit too. Seen a nice build over on MSW...that and the Schillenboot...would have to put an addition on if I thought of doing another...LOL!!! Must be tough seeing kits just sitting in front of you like that!! :eek: I would have way too many at home!!

TRM said:
Must be tough seeing kits just sitting in front of you like that!! :eek: I would have way too many at home!!

it is .....I do ;D ;)

Todd,

I'm reading this with great interest, this kit is something of a holy grail for me! One question so far: earlier in the thread you mention the boat would have been gray with green decks, did I read that right? Everything I've ever seen says it was green overall. Also, do you plan to leave the mast off? The few photos seem to show it that way.

Really looking forward to more!

Michael

Hello Micheal, thanks for stopping by and commenting too!! I am happy to have you along for the ride!!

As for the painting measure for this one...I have been talking with friend, author and Naval Historian T.Garth Connelly on the subject of colors in regards to this boat. Best estimates place a MTB Green Measure on this. This is not a true green in the sense. This plan, compliments of Mr. Connelly...

For discussion purposes only
6158ae47-096f-44b2-8134-58f4a805767f_zpsff1ad008.jpg

The MTB Measure is the two different colors seen on the right. Not sure if there is definitive proof of what was on the boat at this time. There are the few great pictures of the boat being loaded onto a PT tender with a number of other PT's...She sits with a measure 21 and would have had orders for painting once once in the pacific. To be honest, I thin most of the standardized green painting comes from a couple of thins...the monotone colors of the PT Tender pics and the movie. I do know that the crews would have painted the boats and depending on conditions whether or not the mandates were followed. So I am willing to go with the fact the boat was green and MTB Green was one of the measure that was a more or less solid green unless looking from above...if nothing else it makes for great conversation!! LOL!!

As for the mast...unsure at the moment...it is missing in the iconic shot of the crew standing in front of the chart house. Again, the "interest" factor will way out. Still researching as I go here...Garth has been a tremendous help along with Dave Waples, one of the individuals part of a number of individuals in the research of this boat for Italieri.

If you happen to come up with any information on your own, feel free to post it up!! Information is helpful for the common good!! Looking forward to catching your build as well!!

Thank again!!

Todd,

Thanks for the answer, interesting point. My thoughts (and I certainly don't want to contradict Mr. Connelly!) are:

1. The 5-NG/5-OG mix he has the color chip for looks like it might be based on a mix of Navy Green and Ocean Gray. Ocean Gray would be 5-O. 5-OG is Ocean Green and is a light green color. So I think MTB Green would be a light/medium green color.

2. I wonder when that color measure was promulgated? My reading indicates that at the time of the 109's service in mid-'43, forward conditions in the Solomons were still pretty primitive and they would have used whatever forest green sort of paint they could get.

I could, of course, be COMPLETELY wrong here, but those have sort have been my thoughts. No doubt your sources have a lot more access to creditable material. You're right, of course, that it makes for an interesting discussion!

Michael

Michael, Discussion are always great, especially for the hobby!! ;)

As to where and when they may have issued the measure(s) for the time period, I fully agree that the crews would have used what ever they had at hand. At best guess the ship would have been green...like all the other models you and I have seen. With that, I will conclude to say that it could have been the MTB which would give me the measure 31. This is where it plays out to the person telling the story a bit. I am reside in the fact that the colors on the measure may not be correct, but it very well could be to. On the lighter side, they may have painted the whole ship after strapping the 37mm to the bow and heading out on the last mission....LOL!! Unlikely there, but would be cool just the same. Simply, the Measure 31 is out there and the Green as well...deducing the the use is not a far stretch and I can live with it. I like to make things fairly accurate but how accurate is any model really? ::) My paint is being mix from looking at a 70 year old card on a 17" laptop screen going from speculation...LOL!!! 8)

I honestly appreciate you bringing this up. Helps me stay focused on the prize a bit. I will do a bit more searching as well. If nothing the information will be out there for the next guy!! ;D If you, or I for that matter, come up with something we will make sure it's post up!! ;)

You're entirely correct, do what you think is right. No one who actually saw the boat is here to contradict you. It's good to have a place like this to debate these issues, but in the end it's your model. Looking forward to seeing more!

Michael

Thanks Michael! Perfect way to look at it! Absolutely nothing wrong with the debate my friend! Glad to have you along for the ride too if you like! I have plenty more to do but the bench was clear by two in the past 3 days so there is now a bit more room for this big girl!!! Looking forward to see you have at it as well. I will keep my eyes open for it!! ;)

Chris S said:
Is it done yet ;D ;D :-X

All that you have going for you and your funny too!! :eek: No, not yet Mr. S!! Been slacking on this gearing up for some building in the coming weeks...this need to make its way to the front!! Thanks for keeping me straight on this!! ;)

Latest posts

Back