Brakiri cruiser

ModelMakerMike said:
Hey Grendels,
are you going to be producing more videos of the build of this model?
:)

he asked hoping the answer was "yes.. several very long detailed ones!"

Okay then....the votes have it!
Grendels, get crackin' buddy....... Just kidding. Whenever you're ready......until then, Red Five stan.......OH NEVER mind. ;D

Very Cool Kit Grendels. I Need To Watch The Complete Series One Day. Always Thought They Had Great Ships.

huntr said:
ModelMakerMike said:
Hey Grendels,
are you going to be producing more videos of the build of this model?
:)

he asked hoping the answer was "yes.. several very long detailed ones!"

Sorry, life has been in the way, I am dating a very beautiful woman and I can either work on this, or spend time with her. This one is taking second place.

This does not mean I am not working on this kit. I am, I have spent 4 or 5 hours sanding. Don't want to show that on video, too much detail and boredom.....

Video up soon, promise! In the mean time, you can see the last model I built here:

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,3427.0.html

Good Update! Don't only rely on the kit's locator pins for support and strength...

Brass pinning will help! They don't have to be big! but never the less, will help your ship last a long time.

Your video has covered all the bases again! Great tips for all Skill levels!

I never heard of Comet being used to clean Resin parts but it looks like it works.... Learned something there!

As for Mould Release Agents! The two "home brew" you mentioned like Vaseline and Pam might work!
But peoples that uses RTV moulds would stick to Product orientated (compatible) with the resin type and mould types they are using....

I am using a spray called "Stoner" and apply a light coat of Talcum powder on top of it, To help break the surface tension and facilitate the flow of resin throughout the entire mould. And the powder also helps giving those parts a paint friendly surface. Versus a super gloss finish which would require sanding to help paint adhere.

So, in short! Yes! You are right to clean thoroughly those parts!

Good luck with assembly! Looks like you have a great start! Should look great !

Norm.

Norm: This kit has some pretty good locator pins already, so I think I am going to give them a try. They are in locations where the resin is kind of thin already and I don't think it will be a problem. But before I put her together, I might just add a pin or two to them. Keeping the kit pins intact.

However, the vertical stabilizers do not have a pin to them. Those will get brass pins.

Funny thing, this is my second resin kit. Both kits suggested comet cleanser. What do you use to clean your parts?

There were spots on this kit where the mold release didn't want to budge. But the comet just took it off.

Good video, Grendels. I've got my eye on a couple of resin kits. Good to see how it's done before I take the plunge and order one.

This things gonna look great.

John! To answer your question, about What do I use to clean my resin kits! I don't !

I know! I know!

I paid dearly for not doing so, only once! But it is on my list to do! Like on this big Godzilla kit I am working on....

I would use warm water and dish detergent.... Maybe let it soak?

Keep us updated! And keep doing those great videos!

Norm

Out!

You're definitely getting the tips across for resin kits, John.
This thing will definitely be large.

Thank you for the reply Norm, I have a few delicate parts that I just can't scrub. I was planing on a dish soap soak for those. You just confirmed it.

Thanks Quarlane and ModelmakerMike

Chiefpettyofficer: This ship is from Babylon 5, and was not seen that often. A year ago I set out to gather up quite a few of the B5 ships. So far I have:

Two starfurries
B5 her self
Nova class destroyer
Omega class
Narn heavy cruiser
Shadow ship or two
Whitestar
and a Vorlon fighter.

I have been eyeing the Mimbari cruiser from BamBam productions, but I have had trouble with him in the past, so not sure if I should order it.....

There is also a Narn fighter out there in scale with the starfurries. I might pick it up one day as well.

I had no idea there were so many kits available from the B5 series?.

Thanks for sharing your collection! I remember B5 being super popular in Germany back in they early 90's.... While I was Stationed there, I wouldn't mind doing a White Star space ship... What a wicked weapon that was!

Take care.

Norm, the only injection molded kits on that list are the starfurries and B5. The rest are resin. The nova, Omega, Whitestar and shadow ships are from warp models. The vorlon fighter is from who knows what manufacturer, it is definitely a garage kit. I found it for sale one day and it is both resin and vacuum formed. It will be a while before I touch that one.

The Narn heavy cruiser is from Howling wolf productions: http://jt-graphics.com/MK_HW.html Their website is a bit wonky, for me it only works with internet exploder. It is $175, and is in scale with the Nova and the Omega.

Alliance models makes a Narn fighter, you can get it over at federation models.

Westley's Bleach White Tire Cleaner is a wonderful cleaner for resin. Soaking for 30 minutes usually does the trick but longer doesn't hurt. If this has been mentioned I apologize for the redundancy.

hey yeh i just use dish soap as i've always read that's what to use. I've watched the youtube videos too. im excited to see the build! not too many resin kits are built in these pages and as i love all kit forms , resin is my favorite.

CTspeedshop: Nope, no one posted that yet. I have seen it before and will take a look for it in the future.

I will get back to work on her today for a bit!

Latest posts

Back