Brakiri cruiser

I saw this thing on ebay and just had to buy it. It was half of retail price. Getting started on it tonight!

Very nice review! I do believe that the two longer parts in the bag are supposed to be bent.

Yeah, I think they're the 2 struts that connect the top of the forward and aft sections. I would think they'd be solid enough once they're in place?

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one.
Looks like it's got a couple of niggles, but not many

Thanks Igard!!!

Just Mike said:
Very nice review! I do believe that the two longer parts in the bag are supposed to be bent.

They are pretty much near their correct shape. I am not looking forward to cleaning up those two parts as well as the main guns. Resin is brittle, and if I am not careful, I will break them. And Igard got it right with their placement.

Here is a site with a few photos on it, this guy claims to have done some of the patterning for this model:

http://ajamodels.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=8030427

Great photos there, and I don't want to post them here due to copyright and I think he should have credit. But I will post this one:

Brakiri_ship.jpg

It is from a Wiki on the ship.

Quaralane: Yes it has some niggles, but not many at all. The entire model is smooth, and from the photos I have found, there appear to be some panel lines on her. Don't know if I am going to add them, or paint it. With the scale of this thing, you really wouldn't see panel lines.

Jim2001 said:
Very neat kit. Yes the base looks a bit small. Is it very heavy?

It is heavy, but not heavy enough. This is not a light model. It will be too top heavy. I need a base that covers more real estate so it won't tip over.

13aceofspades13 said:
Resin

Styrene plastic

what is better for what applications...

Can't tell you for sure. It seems to me that resin kits are ones that the major players won't make, or are too expensive for them to make. Resin is brittle and you can't use solvents to glue it together. While styrene is flexible, and you can use solvents. They are just different from each other.

Hey Grendels,

You are a glutton for punishment ;)

Seriously, kudos for getting straight back into another kit. I look forward to following your diary on this one.

Keep up the good work.

Craig.

Actually Craig, this is my second kit since the contest. I will post the other one pretty soon.

Thank you for the comment! And yes this thing is a bit of punishment. I have sanded down about half of the parts so far and I am finding that the seams are not all that great where the parts meet up. But it wouldn't be a kit for me unless I had seam problems......

John

John !!! you sure know how to pick them !!! 8)

I hope you didn't pay too much for it ??? that bubbling at one end.... ! be weary of it

what it could mean is this ..... like an Aero chocolate bar !!! the surface is pristine... but as
soon as you dig... you might !!! encounter bubbles !

I am not saying that is the case for all of your parts but would be very cautious on HOW DEEP I would
sand those seams.... just be aware that you might uncover some Near the surface bubbles....

I would suspect this was the main reasons for Spotting this kit on Ebay....!

Good catch thou ! as it is a Slick looking machine !

Your AVeS aptitudes will come in handy on that one !!!

as for panel lines... you should look for Panelling Decals they come in Grey and Green and Blue I think...
and have thousands of little squares of varying shades simulating large ship panelling !

Good luck ! and nice Video ! you covered all the bases.... very slick of you !!! Even more advance modelers with Resin in this case can be reminded of Washing the parts... Nice touch !

Norm.

OUT !

Norm: I didn't pay too much for it, so no worries there. The bubbling is only in that one area. I have sanded down the part and didn't find any subsurface bubbles to worry me.

I am not sure I am going to do the panel lines. I have found very little about this ship out there, so I might just leave it off. Or I might just get out the frisket film and make my own........ That is pretty easy to do.

Thanks Cobraleader!

once more into the breech you go with your trusty aves and sanding tools. good luck on this one. B5 ships do tend to be really cool. and i am sure this will come out great. will be watching.

If this one turns out looking like your other ships then it will be sweet!.

Latest posts

Back