Best way to airbrush white?

BigChinoDon

Can anyone share your successful technique for airbrushing white acrylics, particularly in aircraft wheel wells. Normally by the time I get a primer on it and covered in white the paint is too heavy.

Thanks,
Don

if you are using a dark color for your primer best thing to do is build up layers

spud said:
if you are using a dark color for your primer best thing to do is build up layers

Normally I try to rattle can some Tamiya white primer, but I'm under pressure from the war department to switch completely to acrylics. Acrylic primer?

Vallejo has a white acrylic primer. It works good and ready to airbrush right out of the bottle.

Scott Girvan said:
Vallejo has a white acrylic primer. It works good and ready to airbrush right out of the bottle.

Is that in the Model Air line? I was kicking around the idea of completely switching and buying the entire model air line at one shot.

spud said:

Exactly, on modern American made aircraft models, Ill prime the wheel bays and landing gear struts in flat black, then slowly build up the white by applying thin mist coats of Tamiya X2 thinned with 90% isopropol alcohol with a few drops of retardant (Liquitex Flow Aid) or you can use Tamiya's own thinner. If your careful, it will cover nicely, trick is getting the right mix ratio and air pressure.

BigChinoDon said:
spud said:

Normally I try to rattle can some Tamiya white primer, but I'm under pressure from the war department to switch completely to acrylics. Acrylic primer?

is that the wife then? ;D

and both scotts are right the vellajo are handy come in a various sized bottles also and all you need do is drop some into the ab and shoot

Well I ordered a Vallejo sampler last night. Got what I needed for the next two kits in the queue.

I airbrush flat white then gloss coat it. Couple layers of white, couple layers of gloss gives it that kinda thick gloss look as good as trying to spray any gloss white. Just my way of doing it, never tried the Vallejo white primer though, just the gray.

I use the great and hull red and I find the hull red better the grey seems to need to go down strang like here is oil on the part even tough I wipe every thing before hand with alcohol

Hey guys, just wanted to follow up with my results. I made the switch and bought a good amount of Vallejo paints. I used the Vallejo grey primer on the wheel wells of the F9F I have on the bench. Low pressure through my H&S with the pull set so I wouldn't overdue it if I got too anxious. Light coat of primer, then switched to white. Took my time, built it up nice and slow and got the results I've been looking for. I also got some interior green done. Nice to be able to switch colors quickly.

Lesson learned, patience is a virtue. ::)

Latest posts

Back