BEST TYPE OF MASK TO WEAR

alerae

i bought some tamiya thin glue and paint today, i opened the bottle and thought i was going to die of lung cancer :p whats a good kind of mask to wear so i dont faint

Um ... well maybe get into a better ventilated room & Stop sniffing th Glue ! ;D ( I'm kidding !)

I've never had a problem with th Glue or Tamiya's Paint. If need be can you set a small fan near you to create a breeze ? If not & the Fumes still bother you. You can go into a Home Improvement store & look at th masks They have . You would want to get one that has filters on them. I don't think you'd need to get th ones meant for Automotive paint .. but They still have some that are good for th Fumes .

Well,

I use a 3M half-mask with ABEKP3 multiple filter (Those codes are used in Europe, I don´t know if those codes are the same in North America... I think yes...).

A & B stands for organic compounds...

E stands for acid vapors (99,99999% probably you will never need this quality)

K stands for ammonia compounds (liquid masks usually have some ammonia, but this is a marginal question)

P3 is the degree of retention capacity of solid airborne particles.

This shoul be enough, really enough.

The weak point of filters is that they are not fully efficient retaining alcohol-vapors when their airborne concentration is really high. But for modelling environments, they work perfectly.

But the best protection comes from working in a well ventilated area, or working with a painting hood.

Cheers :)
RG

I have a fan going and the wondows are open so it pretty ventilated. i just hate the smell of the glue :p i got a mask that should work from Canadaintire

Hope you got a respirator with OV cartridges, otherwise it wont do squat for Tamiya Extra Thin (acetone/butyl acetate) or their acrylics (alcohol/glycol ether).

I had a bit of a same issue when I restarted modelling.

My wife is an artist (watercolor) pregnant and we share a room that is a studio/office for her and office/ workbench for me. It is not very well ventilated (just one big window) and a fan just seems to make a lot of noise and move the bad fume within the room and house.

On my first few sessions I ended up with massive headache from the fume of the tamiya paints (no problem with the glue though). I went to ace hardware and got me a 3M mask for painting with the 2 pink filter cartridge. It was not the most comfortable thing to wear but it does a great job. My wife was stealing it all the time though so I decided to switch paint. I switched to Model Colors Acryl and the smell was ok but my wife still though it was bad. I then went to Vallejo Air and there is almost no smell at all except for the smell of acrylic that I remember from when I was a kid and I seriously love this smell).

So maybe get a good mask, but switch your paint if it making you dizzy.

Latest posts

Back